Saturday, June 12, 2010

I love a good road trip

My husband and I (and of course, George) are going to be taking a week’s vacation in Maine. In fact, as you’re reading this, we’re probably still en route.

We’ve rented a cottage on the coast within driving distance of our beloved Mt. Desert Island and Acadia National Park.

Right now, this is probably what George is up to:

DSC_0010 copy 2

We have been so looking forward to this trip and I’ve worked hard this school year. There’s so much to be done before leaving on a long journey too, isn’t there?

Last August, we rented this {cottage} on Deer Isle through Seaside Rentals. We had booked a small place that slept four and was billed as secluded. It was also on the edge of a 98-acre trail which, when I enquired, was told that dogs were permitted on the trail but had to be leashed. The trail was a huge plus. The house came with access to a sand beach, high speed internet access and a small fenced yard.

Perfect!

DSC_0241 copy 2

I wasn’t given the directions until final payment was received, so as soon as we got them, which was just a day before we were to leave (we booked late), we checked google satellite maps and saw a huge structure directly next to the cottage, just through those trees you see on the left. I was really surprised. I called the agency and left a message as well as e-mailing them, but no response.

Needless to say, when we arrived, we were really disappointed to find that our ‘secluded cottage’ was actually just rental income for the castle that was built directly in front of it.

I couldn’t find any photos in my files of the castle. You’ll just have to believe me, please. It was huge. This is no fish tale.

DSC_0272 copy 2

But hey, it really wasn’t all that bad. Because hey, we were in Maine!

The cottage had this nice little deck. But we were a bit chagrined with the slanted way in which the place was depicted.

I mean, the owners’ giant house was right there!

Ok. I’m not complaining. But the internet didn’t work either.

But hey, who wants to spend their vacation sitting in front of a computer anyway? Not me!

DSC_0013 copy 2

This was the beach that came with the house. We knew that it wasn’t private and were told via e-mail that a couple of houses were out there and they used it sometimes, too.

 DSC_0039 copy 2

This is the view from the road we took to get to the beach, which was just a 5-minute hike from our cottage. In reality, the beach was a favorite kayak launching site, complete with a small parking lot.

But that was all okay, because hey, we were in Maine. And we love it there. Besides, we found another way in to the beach, and could sit on the rocks and observe all the comings and goings, which were really quite interesting.

Oh, and of course, the 98-acre trail that was adjacent to the property forbade dogs. It was a new rule and just in time for our arrival.

DSC_0017 copy 2

There were so many good things about the island though, which made our vacation a good one. One was the drive out to the main road. As we would come out of the wooded area where the cottage was located, we were treated with the view you see above. This was taken from the carport area of another rental.

DSC_0174 copy 2 

And a short drive down the road, followed by a quick jaunt down a sand trail afforded us the view above. This is the little beach along Sand Road on Deer Isle.

DSC_0601 copy 2 

And every night, there would be the wonderful sunsets. I would definitely stay on Deer Isle again. It’s always risky when you rent a vacation home, and sometimes it can be disappointing. Hopefully, however, the plusses of the area in which you’re vacationing will outweigh your living quarters. And when the digs are great . . . well, that’s just icing on the cake.

I am hoping that the digs are great where we’re going. But if they aren’t, it will be okay. Because hey ~ we’ll be in Maine.

Until I post again, my friends . . .

Don’t know when I’ll be back on, so this may be my last post for several days.

28 comments:

Sweetpea said...

Don't matter when you come back here to Bloggyville, CG, just that you DO. We shall all be here, I suppose. sigh. needing vacation myself... sigh again. will. shut. up. now. about. that.

Sure hope George has a bit more than a ***fenced DECK*** this time around :>]]

Happy trails, happy tails, happy sunsets-every-night to you all!!!

Deborah said...

Have fun..cus hey, you'll be in Maine! lol

Enjoy!

Deborah :)

Ashley Ashbee said...

Wow, this place is so beautiful and serene! No wonder George is sleeping so cutely and comfortably! My favourite places to travel are away from tourists. It's an escape... The scenery is amazing!

Jayne said...

Hope you all have a wonderful journey Kate. Like you said, regardless, it's Maine, and it's beautiful! :c)

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Beautiful pics, that cottage looked so awesome, I was ready to rent!!..until you clarified... but Hey, it's in MAINE!

Cheryl said...

Have a great vacation !
Be safe!

Razzberry Corner said...

Have a great vaca! The pics from last year are very pretty!

~Lynn at Razzberry Corner

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful vacation, I'd love to go to Maine, anywhere on the east coast really, I don't think I've ever been any farther east than Ohio, maybe someday, something my dreams are made of. Beautiful sunsets!!Enjoy.
Blessings,
~Ronda~

Leenie said...

Jealous, jealous, jealous of time in Maine by the sea. I've been to Mt. Desert and Rockport and on out to Cushing and Wyeth's Monhegan Island. I hope you and your hubby and George have a splendid time. Savor a lobster or two for me.

mrs mediocrity said...

Oh it looks just wonderful, despite the castle and all... Maine is one of my destinations, haven't made it there yet, but it is right up there after Alaska, which is first on my list. Have a fabulous trip!

Meg McCormick said...

Crossing my fingers for you to have no bait-and-switches this time around. And can't wait to see your photos!

Tiffany said...

Heh. It sounds like you love Maine ALMOST as much as I do!

deborah said...

I will be patiently waiting for your return, rested and refreshed from your adventures in Maine!
Can't wait to see your photos and hear about your trip. I do hope that George will also have a few words of inspiration about the trip..

Low Tide High Style said...

I hope you had a wonderful drive and that your digs this year are everything you hoped they'd be!

Kat :)

Char said...

have a great time!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy...the area looks heavenly!

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

Have fun in Maine! And you are right. Even if everything goes wrong it doesn't matter because you are in Maine. It really makes everything better.

Alli said...

Have a great trip! Hope the sunsets are just as beautiful this time around!

Kerri Farley said...

Oh Kate, what lovely photos and memories of last year's trip and I'm sure you will make even better ones this year! Hope you have loads of FUN and can't wait to see the pics ..... but don't worry about blogging while you are gone..... just have FUN!

Julie Harward said...

Yes, vacations are never exactly what you might expect but some how they turn out good! Looks beautiful there! Come say hi :D

JacksDad said...

I can't wait to see all the pictures that your taking right now :)

Pseudo said...

Glorious shots. (One of my favorite bloggers lives in Maine. Don't Worry it's Only a Movie.)

ELK said...

this is great..so often the way when you book sight unseen ...but HEY its Maine...have a special vacation!!!

Dagmar said...

Auhhhggggg this place looks like heaven to me....

Deb said...

It looks so clear and cool there....beats the hellacious heat of Marco!
Enjoy my friend.

Daryl said...

Oh I hope this year things go better ...

prashant said...

My favourite places to travel are away from tourists. It's an escape... The scenery is amazing!
Contextual Ad Network India

The JR said...

I luv all the photos of last year's trip.

Have a good time on this trip.