Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Just a quickie

It’s going to be a good night. My favorite TV show is having its season premier (Tuesday night at 10 PM on the FX channel) and I’m leaving in a few minutes to go watch it with a friend who also loves it.

She and I have been into this show since its beginning six seasons ago. And honestly, I would never have expected someone her to like this show. She’s an erudite person, is quite refined, and teaches at our school. I was surprised that she enjoyed such a raunchy, gritty production. (Although she did have some questions for me at the beginning. “You can stand up doing that?”)

The dark comedy/drama focuses on firefighters in NYC who are dealing with the aftermath of 9/11. The show will wrap up next year, just in time for the 10th anniversary of the tragedy.

The show centers around Denis Leary who plays Tommy Gavin, a flawed, caustic, alcoholic fireman whose reckless bravado is part of the reason he’s such an exceptional firefighter. I’d want him at my back.

Or Daniel Sunjata. He loves me, you know.

Uh, oh ~ time to go. Have a great night, all!

17 comments:

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Do you know, I've never watched an episode of this, and I've heard so many raves about it.

What was I thinking??

Kathy said...

Also one of my favorites but since I don't have anything other than basic, basic cable, I watch it on DVD from Netflix. I sorta like it like that. I can watch three or four episodes at a time and get through the whole series in three or four nights if I want to. I just have to wait a few months until the DVDs become available. Don't you just absolutely love the theme song?

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Oh, sounds heavenly - watching TV with a good friend. Enjoy.

p.s. What is TV?

Char said...

hope you have fun...this is how i'm about True Blood.

Lili said...

Oh I see it is on right now as I post this comment. I would check it out, but SOMEONE is watching the early news right now.... Enjoy! ~Lili

A New England Life said...

I've never watched the show either and didn't realize it had anything to do with 9/11. In general I don't watch much drama but I do like Lie To Me. Have you seen that show?

Hope it was a good evening, and a bit cooler!

Tami Weingartner said...

Shhhhhh.....I'm trying to hide this fact from my husband. I'm a season and a half behind.....

Country Girl said...

I love Lie to Me. Have a friend who's totally into True Blood.

And the theme song on Rescue Me totally rocks. It's Come On, Come On by Von Bondies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGoxmrMUY1k

~ C.G.

Gail said...

I understand the appeal of firefighters, even the bad guys.

Once my husband went into a burning building to make sure the rather unsavory resident was not there. The ceiling fell but Hubby was fine.

When his mother heard, she threw a fit. Hubby simply said, Mom, if that had been your house, would you not want someone to check on you.

His mother never complained again but simply accepted the non-judgemental goodness of her son.

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I am addicted to True Blood ;)

Mental P Mama said...

Oh I love me some firemen;)

mrs mediocrity said...

My favorite show of all time. Well, since Six Feet Under ended.
I had forgotten that Daniel Sunjata loves you, that post was from when I first started coming to your blog I think...
So what did you think of last night's episode?
Dennis Leary's character is the sexiest creep/bad boy/crazy person ever. And that makes me feel kind of weird.

The JR said...

Never seen it. Sounds good though. Glad you got to enjoy watching it with a friend.

Daryl said...

ToonMan recorded it and its likely when his Italian actress client doesnt show up for her appt. he and Jack will sit on the couch and watch it together ... Rose isnt into it ...

DesertHen said...

Love, Love, Love that show!!

Deb said...

I never got into this show, but I just may have to order it from Netflix...

I heard this may be the last season...is it true?

Jill of All Trades said...

I've never seen this show either but I understand it is good. I watch too much TV as it is. Have fun.