Thursday, January 28, 2010

Virtual walk. Because I’m lazy.

Today I just did not feel like going on a walk when I got home. I tried to force myself, but I refused to listen. I could tell that my heart wasn’t in it, so I gave myself a break. Besides, it was cold (I told myself). And the sun had already gone down and it will only get colder.

Whine.

And before I knew it, I had on my warm socks and sheep slippers. And believe me, there is no walking once the sheep slippers make an appearance.

DSC_0723 copy 2

So I figured I’d do a virtual walk. And hey, I could take you on it as well. I’d forgotten that I had only shared a small handful of photos of our day trip a couple of weekends ago when we drove out to Harper’s Ferry.

We’re walking along the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal. It runs along the Potomac River from Washington DC to Cumberland and passes through Harper’s Ferry, about the half-way point on the 185-mile long canal trail.

DSC_0730 copy 2

We saw a lot of old ruins along the way. Buildings lie along the remnants of the canal and were built to service the scores of boaters who used this as their main transportation in the 1800’s to the early 1900’s. I have no idea what this building could have been used for, although I don’t think it was the home of one of the lock-keepers.

DSC_0733 copy 2

An old wooden house sits on this hill. The view must have been incredible when this dwelling was inhabited. and it’s wisely built above the flood line.

DSC_0734 copy 2

This lift-lock was filled in. The river is just to the right through the trees.

DSC_0735 copy 2

Here’s the other side of the lock-lift that was filled in. We guessed it was because when this became a National Park, they were filled in for safety purposes. Some of them are so deep that they’d pose a danger to the public who was wandering about.

DSC_0738 copy 2

Boats used to pass through a series of seventy four lift locks that raised and lowered water levels adjusting the ride like a staircase to adjust for the 605-foot difference in elevation between Georgetown and Cumberland.

20071105120145 20071105120401

 2007110511570520071105120536

 2007110512043220071105115827

Here are some archival photos taken in the 1800’s. NPS photos. These were the dwellings that the lock keepers lived in while tending to the travelers.

DSC_0746 copy 2

Thanks for all the encouragement on becoming an affiliate with B&H Photo & Video. I do hope you don’t think I’ve gone all commercial. All I ask is that if you’re looking for photography or video equipment (or any kind of media equipment) to please link through one of the B&H ads or links on my site.

DSC_0748 copy 2

 

Love,

38 comments:

Ellen said...

Beautiful pictures. I was there when I was in high school in the 70's - the 1870's! Maybe it would be a good weekend trip for my husband and I.

Carol said...

I've never been there and it was really facinating to go along with you to see it. It must have been great to live along the river when it was in its hay day, thanks.

Gail said...

I love the history of your area! I love history period and am in my element looking at old homesteads and businesses.

Thanks for taking that walk and allowing me to see it through your eyes.

GailO said...

I love going on road trips and hikes with you!

Also congrats on the B&H ad...I think it is an honor that they contacted you!...With any luck I will be looking for a new camera soon and I will go there to check their prices:)

Low Tide High Style said...

I haven't visited Harper's Ferry for a long time and after seeing your pictures I know I need to go back sometime soon!

Beautiful photos and thanks for taking us along on your virtual walk!

Kat :)

Char said...

beautiful shots and i bet it was a very cool place to explore

beth said...

I loved this walk.....and I was so warm and toasty and my legs didn't get tired :)

and that old building.....swoon !

Reddirt Woman said...

What a wonderful walk. Thanks for the trip.

Helen

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tour. Very cool.

tainterturtles said...

I love the virtual tour. It brings back memories of when we visited Harper's Ferry...such a beautiful place.

Cloudia said...

This imaginary walk was better than many sidewalk ones!



Aloha, Friend


Comfort Spiral

Annie said...

Interesting tour Kate. And good on you with B&H. It is where my daughter and son-in-law like to shop here in NYC...for all that stuff.

Carol E. said...

Fun virtual walk! The canal is like Panama, except it's not being used and is filled in and historical, giving it kind of a sad air about it. (I was born in Panama.) Guess what I did today.. the very same thing! Tried to convince myself to exercise (walk, or anything) and couldn't do it. It's cold here! Single digit temps F. And the warm fireplace was tooo happy to have my attention.

Anonymous said...

Such tiny boats that passed through those old canals. I've always been impressed by the genius of whoever created the first canals that raised and lowered water levels for boats. Simple but genius idea!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Julie Harward said...

What an interesting place, I would love to explore it. I'm just sure my ancestors were there somewhere, these names ring a bell in my mind from my mom talking about it. Thanks for the walk and talk! Come say hi :D

Skogkjerring said...

Those virtual walks can be a blessing when it's dark and cold and you've already got your sheep slippers on...and a real walk just is out of the question...by the way I'm wondering if your slippers are the same as mine, brown skin on the bottom and curly sheep skin inside and around the top..Stig got me a pair for Christmas in 2008...LOOOOOVE them. It's the first thing I put on every time I come in my house...they are sooo comfy so I totally understand not wanting to go anywhere once they are on!
Have a super day!

Americana Lady said...

Wow, I really love the historical aspect of your post. I didn't know locks like this were used on rivers. I so enjoy your pictures. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Well I'm doing this walk in my slippers too...thanks for taking us along! What a great place to explore...with the camera too!

I love exploring old abandoned houses, there aren't many in these parts.

Mary said...

What a great place to hike! Would you believe the Delaware and Raritan Canal is about a half hour away from my home and I've never been there?

Thanks for the tour! Your photos are wonderful! Oh, and I have my sheep slippers on, too. :)

Lena said...

What a neat place! I've never seen anything like that. Thanks for sharing.

Oh! Congrats on B&H, I love that place too.

Mental P Mama said...

Phew. I'm exhausted....

The JR said...

Thanks for the tour. Very interesting. I love seeing different areas thru other people. Would like to say that it would be neat to see it in person, but know that won't happen. Have an adversion to traveling. Mostly because of all the fur kids.

catlady said...

I love this, I feel like I'm right with you

big hair envy said...

What a beautiful place! I'm ashamed to say that I've never been to Harper's Ferry:(

I love the old photo of the ladies sitting atop the boat while going through the canal....looks like they are truly enjoying themselves!

Two weeks;)

Deb said...

I felt as though I went on a mini vacation!!!

Hilary said...

Looks like a lovely area to wander on a not too cold day.

Amy said...

What a great "virtual walk" - it's probably very beautiful in the Spring as well. I'm definitely putting it on our list of "places we must go!" Thank you!

Lisa said...

Lovely pictures! You're so lucky to live in an area with so much history for you to explore.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

i so wish i could go on some of these trips with you in person... you have some rich history that is so beautiful... keep taking me often please...

Michelle said...

I can get pretty melancholy when I see ruins of homes and other buildings or things like the canal. I think of how much blood, sweat and tears, not to mention materials, went into those, and how the people who built them would think if they could see them now. I have a savior complex when it comes to lovely old homes that have been abandoned and boarded up; I want to lovingly restore them to their former glory and usefulness! Unfortunately, I don't have the budget or talents (or like-minded DH) to act on that impulse. When I see a place like yours still in use, it is a ray of sunshine!

Daryl said...

Aw .. that heart is so sweet.

What an interesting place.. and the sky was so gloriously blue contrasting with the yellows and browns of the woods/land ...

Betty said...

Thank you for the wonderful walk.
I love the vintage pictures.
~~Love Hugs and Good Thoughts~~

Carolynn Anctil said...

I know how you feel. Those sheep slippers are powerful, indeed!

abb said...

Did you make that heart?

Golden West said...

Thanks for taking us along on your day trip - an area so rich with the history of our country.

Congrats on the affiliation with B&H - they have good taste in photographers!

Deb said...

that was a fun walk...and I have my pink fuzzy slippers on...it's raining cats and dogs here....

noble pig said...

I want sheep slippers...I DID MY WALK!

duchess_declutter said...

I just love a good virtual walk - I do it all the time! What a lovely part of the country and interesting history too.