Sunday, August 24, 2008

All the basic food groups

My husband has weird taste sometimes. I mean, the Corona and the cream cheese are fine, but the marmite? Ew! Has anyone out there ever tried this concoction?
Marmite is a British product, similar to the Australian vegemite which was made popular in the Men At Work song, "Down Under".
Buying bread from a man in brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, do you speak-a my language?
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich

And he said,I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder
Cant you hear, cant you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

My husband, who is British, by the way (hence the penchant for marmite) had just opened a Corona, stuck a lime in it and pronounced that he had a hankering for a marmite sandwich. To me, marmite tastes like tar. Salty tar. It looks like tar, too. It's a sticky, dark brown paste with a distinctive, powerful yeasty flavor which is extremely salty. You either love it or hate it, which is also the company's marketing slogan!
The Australian version is called vegemite and is very similar in taste to marmite. A vegemite sandwich to an Australian kid is the equivalent of a peanut butter & jelly sandwich to an American kid, but what a difference in flavor!
Ew. And yuck.
My husband likes his marmite sandwich on toast with some cream cheese. He also put some on crackers with the cream cheese and actually tried to offer it to me. What is he, kidding? I'm opting for the beer today. Just keep the marmite away.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no, no, no...not for me!

Anonymous said...

hm, I'll share his Corona...but no thanks on the sandwich!!

Mary said...

Yeeeeaaahhh -- no thanks. I like my cream cheese with date nut bread, thank you very much. :)

Hope you are having a nice weekend. It's gotten a little muggy here in Jersey...
xoxo,
Mary

Shimmy Mom said...

I've never tried it. (I heard it was gross and I'm a little of a wuss when it comes to trying odd looking or sounding things.) But it amazes me how different tastes are from different parts of the world. Watching the Olympics and seeing what they really eat in China, made me stomach lurch. I guess that's why they say, "To each his own."
*Hugs*

Woman in a Window said...

I was overseas a few years ago and was so starving for Peanut Butter. None to be had. I saw Vegamite and started salivating. All for FREAKEN naught, man. All for naught. Yuk, is so right. (sorry International community but uh, we've got it right...)

Anna said...

I've always been curious of marmite (and vegemite, because of the song). I'd like to try it, but I don't know if I'd want to buy a whole jar of it, if it turns out no one likes it. *L*

A.

Anonymous said...

Vegemite with fresh butter on fresh white bread. There's NOTHING (nothing at all) better! We lived in Australia when I was a kid, and I always have Marmite and Vegemite in my cupboard. Supposively it's good for gravies, but why?

The bad thing about Vegemite is the color. I would take it for lunch every day, but my lunch time would be spent explaining what on earth I was eating.

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

Ewwww! I think I'll pass on the Vegemite, but will take a Corona off your hands. A girl has her priorities, you know. As for the lyrics, I always thought they were saying "He just smiled and gave me a bite of his sandwich". Gads! To think I was wrong all these years :) Oh well, it wouldn't be the first time and it certainly isn't the last.

Egghead said...

I have never heard of marmite. Sounds kind of strange but I want to know Kate where you tasted salty tar? Not too many people taste test tar. heh!

Country Girl said...

It was when I worked on a county road crew on the Jersey shore. That tar sher was salty!

~ C.G.

Corsage@A Dollop Of Me said...

Oh, here in Singapore we get Marmite and also Bovril (like Marmite except that it is made from beef extract and a tad less salty). I like them on toast or in rice porridge :) hee. Lots of kids eat it!