Friday, November 28, 2008

Rewarding myself with chardonnay and an online present

As I write this post, it's Friday evening and I'm having a Moist-Maker sandwich. Remember that turkey sandwich from "Friends"?

I'm also having a glass of Martin Ray chardonnay. Read my review here. Or don't. It's really not much of a review!

Today I spent the entire day cleaning and by the end of it, I was tired and cranky and I said the "f" word about six times. (I hope nobody heard me). I rarely say that word and I don't know what it is about cleaning that does this to me. I think it's a deep-rooted problem that began in my childhood. And it's this: I can't stand cleaning when anyone else is around and not doing anything. What is up with that, I wonder? Only my analyst knows for sure.


I don't have an analyst, however. And this cleaning thing is one of several reasons why Adrienne says I "have issues".

I just love it when the house glows. I like it when it smells fresh and clean and the kitchen floor is shiny, the woodwork gleams and the windows sparkle. I love when the sheets are fresh and sweet but I hate it when I get so damn tired at the end of it all.


I knew it would be an all-day affair and I was planning on rewarding myself with a birthday present of an online purchase. Oh, my birthday was earlier this week but it's no big deal, honestly. My husband had no idea what to get me and I didn't want ANYTHING. Save your money, please! is what I told him but it's so difficult for him not to get something for the one he loves. I'll let you make it up to me at Christmastime, I promised him.

The present I bought myself was a downloadable set of Actions for Photoshop that were on sale today only. I got an e-mail heralding the blessed event earlier this week from Totally Rad Actions. Each of their 2 sets of actions are $25 off and I used the money I made from selling my prints on the Etsy site. TRA's sale is today only, so if there are any photographers out there who read this blog and use Actions in Photoshop, this is a great deal.

For these photos, I used an action called Rusty Cage. I love how they name these things. It put sort of a dark, moody warm treatment on the photos, making them look almost goth.

I took these pictures yesterday, in the front yard. George does love to fetch sticks, especially monster sticks like this one.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:


Dog + Stick = Nirvana



And I've said it before, and I'll say it again: "That dog is insane."

Take it easy, Blackie. He's just really exhuberant. That's all.

Until tomorrow, my friends . . .


22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way when I clean. I et so mad when I am the only person picking everyone elses crap up!

Love the pictures!

Suzysoo said...

A very happy belated birthday.

It makes me absolutely hopping when I clean and others sit about.I would use the 'f' word a lot more than 6 times, too! Totally agree with Sarah, too. What annoys me is everyone else's 30 second jobs that they cannot be arsed to do, like folding a towel they used, or putting their shoes on the rack, rinsing a cup. I spend my life doing other people's 30 second jobs!!

Btw What a lovely cat.

abb said...

The "f" word is lovely when said to oneself. Makes a lot of thing a lot better!

Can't stand to clean...just gets dirty again...no gratification.

Deb said...

I love to clean as well, but I want the place empty when I do so. Don't get in my way or they are liable to be bleached or soaked in Pine Sol. However, I am saving my energy to unload the truck on Sunday and also to begin the unpacking process next weekend. I am so excited...I cannot wait.
The only downside to heavy cleaning is I usually don't have a nail left on my fingers...

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Ditto on the whole 'fing' cleaning thing....
I am the house cleaner
3 real meals a day 'chef'
yard gal - and picker upper of critter crud...
and a mom
And still expected to bring money into this 'partnership' of a ranch based business....

I say that word a lot under my breath - and mostly when cleaning up after other able bodied peeps.... and I tend to think 'what the 'f'? Why is it, that because I have boobs and a uterus I am the one doing this 'crud'????

But alas, since I am a clean freak.. I clean.. and I guess I am lucky because I still have my female body parts.
Sigh.
I'm off to get myself a glass of hard cider... my treat for the evening...

brneyedgal967 said...

That Photoshop action makes the woods behind George looks especially bewitching. Love it - very moody.

My mother and I went tile shopping for a kitchen backsplash. Go to a lumber store on Black Friday and you won't run into any people... locally owned lumber store, not a huge chain. It was bliss.

Hilarious comment you left for me - gave me a good belly laugh... french whore. LOL

Laura ~Peach~ said...

I so agree on the cleaning... must be alone and crank the music up ... and then leave me be and dont dare be the one to come in and mess something up....I go balistic...HAPPY belated birthday!!
Cool on the gift for you!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

That George really knows how to enjoy life, doesn't he??

And, like you, I much prefer to clean the house all by myself!!

Edward and I send you best wishes for a most happy Thanksgiving weekend!

Mary said...

My husband cracked up over Blackie's little comment. And yes, I tend to get a little huffy about cleaning, too. Especially when cleaning up after my daughter, who apparently does not know what a trash can is for. I swear that kid is a walking debris field.

What a terrific birthday gift. Hope you had a happy one!
xoxo,
Mary

Shimmy Mom said...

I'm glad that you got yourself a great birthday present. And I appreciate that we get to enjoy it too, through the photos you share with us. (Your table looked lovely and I hope that you had a GREAT Thanksgiving.)
*hugs*

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Kate...why didn't you tell us?

Sounds like a great present and the pics look great.

Leslie: said...

I'm having hot flashes from working so hard today. Sure hope I cool off for tomorrow...or maybe I should stay hot! lol

Anonymous said...

Wish I had read this post yesterday! Doggoneit. Not actions for me.

I wish my house was all cleaned up and pretty. Amazaing what 5 males can do to a clean house...what a pit.

Deb said...

Kismet? Karma? ....giggle....
just two amazing brains working in sync!

Mental P Mama said...

I hate to clean, too. But the feeling of satisfaction when it is done is great. The pictures are totally rad;)

Jeannelle said...

Oh, goodness....belated Happy Birthday wishes! I hope your ankle is better, and that the step-tripping didn't occur on your birthday.

Your Thanksgiving Table for Two looks cozily inviting. Hope you two had a wonderful day!

Cleaning.....if anyone truly enjoys it, I'll eat my feather-duster. And, I didn't hear you say those words....

Blessings on your holiday weekend!

Jeannelle said...

Meant to say, too.....I like your new header photo! Did you use the new Photoshop actions for it? And, good for you to treat yourself to that special gift for your birthday!

Country Girl said...

Hey, all. And thanks for the well wishes!
Yes, Jeannelle. I used the Rusty Cage action and lowered the opacity considerably.
It's a gorgeous day here in Maryland (Saturday). Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!

~ C.G.

Daryl said...

Oh Blackie looks like a younger version of Gus ..

Happy Birthday .. drat if I had known ..

I helped clean up on Thursday before my sister arrived .. I didnt say the F word till I broke a nail .. and it was LOUD .. not the nail breaking ....... the F word which admittedly I use all the time .. all the time

:-Daryl

Jo said...

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday Dear Kaaaaate,
Happy Birthday to yoooooooooo ♪♫

I have to clean my house today. You have inspired me. I will try not to drop too many "F" bombs. :-)

Woman in a Window said...

I bet your George is strung out relaxed compared to my idiotic one, Bones! Bet!

Anonymous said...

I don't think you have claening issues......tea issues yes! I absolutely love the after effect of a good cleaning session. I plop on my sofa, yes, with a glass of chardonay and admire..smell..then walk around with bare feet and wallow in the fact that there is no grit between me and the floor! Pure pleaseure until dirty shoes come in.