Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I love this iced tea

It was warm in Maryland today and after a long day at work, followed by a stop at Lowe's on the way home for garden supplies, and then mulching some more on the east side of the house, this raspberry flavored tea really hit the spot.
You know, if you're working up a sweat, there's nothing that beats a good tall glass of iced tea.
Oh, there's George up there in the top right hand corner of this picture. He's looking at his friend, Natasha, the yellow lab that lives across the farm driveway.
So, what's this tea, you ask?
It's Bigelow's Raspberry Iced Tea and it's really simple to make. Boil 2 cups water.
Add 3 raspberry tea bags.
Let steep about 15-20 min.
Add 1 cup sugar, stir.
Pour into 2 qt. pitcher and add cold water to taste.
For my tea, I used 3/4 cup sugar, rather than a full cup. I've tried sugar substitutes like Splenda, natural sweeteners like Stevia and even honey. The Splenda doesn't taste quite right, and the honey is fine, but not as good as the sugar. The Stevia can be only be described as blech. I got this simple recipe from a friend and I've always loved her iced teas. She can whip up a pitcher pretty quick and they're always so darn good. I went to see her recently and this time, she served this raspberry tea to me for the first time. It just has a nice, clean taste to it and, well, I wanted to share it with you. Hope you like it.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! I suddenly feel in the mood for iced tea!! LOL

:)

Russell said...

Fun post! Yes, tea is certainly a good drink.

Last night I was visiting with a friend and she was explaining to me what is called high tea in Canada and England. It was quite interesting and I have no idea.

It turned out that out here on the farm, the fellows always come in around 4:00 for coffee and sandwiches. It is the typical afternoon break. When farmers work until sundown, well, it makes sense to have a bite to eat and to take a break in the late afternoon.

Apparently high tea and the farm tradition of having coffee in the afternoon are pretty similar. Interesting how things seem to be related...!

Take care and, yes, that tea looks delicious!

Mental P Mama said...

Wonder how it would be with a little orange vodka thrown in. At the end of the day, of course.

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

My husband makes gallons of sweet tea. He made some yesterday!

Mary said...

Ooo, that looks delish!
xoxo,
Mary

Country Girl said...

Mental P, I'm sure it's good with orange-flavored vodka any time of the day!

Thanks, everyone. Enjoy!

~ C.G.

Shimmy Mom said...

That sounds SO good. I'm gonna have to run to the grocery and buy some raspberry right now. (It's probably the only fruit flavor I don't have.)

Anonymous said...

This looks great!! I will have to try this one!

Valorie for Bigelow Tea

Egghead said...

I have actually tried this tea but not made the same way as you have. I think this sounds great on a hot day. I will try it.

Leslie: said...

That sounds yummy. I'll make it with Equal and see how it tastes - will let you know.

Pony Girl said...

Oh, this reminds me of summer! I can't wait for summer! Warm days and lots of iced tea! I guess spring needs to get here first...hello spring, where are you? Well, at least you are getting to enjoy some warmth and iced tea! ;)

Dr.John said...

If we ever get warm weather I'll have to try this. I love tea.

abb said...

I'll try it!

abb said...

With vodka!

Country Girl said...

Annie, I'm thinking of trying it with vodka, too, after the week I've had!

Thanks all. Good to see you back, Dr. John & Pony Girl.

Welcome to Valerie!

~ C.G.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.