Thursday, May 1, 2008

Ode to simple needs

This is the most peaceful time I know.
Paced by clover-scented,
rhythmic chewing,
Content with present abundance
I slow the natural pulse
Of earth and sky

To simple needs-
Warm breath on hand,
Comfortable intimacy in serene eyes.
For it is the horse's gift
To connect us with heaven
And our own footsteps.
~ Excerpt from GRACE, by Ronni Sweet

I love taking afternoon walks with George. He is such a creature of habit and looks forward to me coming home and getting changed into my walking clothes and then out we go. Today it rained intermittently all day but lessened up by late afternoon.

This grey mare was swishing her tail back and forth and chewing her snack and she just looked so pretty standing there with her baby. Did you know that this horse isn't white? It's a grey. And when she was born, she was black. The black wore off, and then she was a nice silver, getting lighter as she aged. Just telling you like it is.

Oh, and the fast-internet connection is on hold for now! The installer called this afternoon and told me he couldn't be here until Monday. It turns out that tomorrow wasn't going to be very convenient for me after all, and I was thinking of calling them anyway. So it was serendipitous that he was on the phone because now I was able to pin him down to an exact time on Monday, rather than the usual 6-hour window they give you. I can be a very demanding customer sometimes. And such a drama queen. I think I scared him!

Not really. Did you really believe that? I guess I must have sounded surprised, because he asked when the best time was for me on Monday. This will work out so much better for me to have him here as soon as I get home from work. So I think I can handle another weekend of dial-up.

Photo of the Month contest will be posted today over at Kacey's blog, Wine On the Keyboard! Check it out and vote for your favorite photo. I've got one in there, but honestly, I am not asking you to vote for mine. Kacey says she's got a lot of entries this month and I'd like to direct all of you who are interested in photography to Kacey's place and check it out. Have fun with it!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought we were the last ones to get DSL a couple of months ago. hehe
It is so much better...I do love it. I also love your blog. Your pictures are some of the prettiest I've seen and I've seen a lot of blogs. George is so cute. I am a dog lover and have two chihuahuas.

Jen's Farmily said...

We live far out in the country and have a sort of satellite internet but it's horrible... and sometimes just as slow as dial-up.

It's Derby time around these parts so horses have been all over the news. I like your pictures of them better though... enjoying the beautiful day!!

Treasia Stepp said...

Bummer about the internet being postponed till Monday. Hang in there till then.

Jeannelle said...

Interesting info about the "grey" having been born black! Kind of like many human babies that have very dark hair at birth, lose that, and then become light-haired.

Good luck with the satellite system.....hopefully, it will work out excellent for you!

brneyedgal967 said...

You're gonna love your fast internet when you're finally up and going. Can I borrow some of those horses to eat my grass? Maybe we wouldn't have to mow as much.

Minna Dyer said...

Hooray for Monday!

Mental P Mama said...

These pictures are absolutely beautiful. I have to get my hands on that foal.

abb said...

I swear you live in Shangri-la!
What beauty surrounds you !

Dr.John said...

I used to live in the country and I miss it. A daily walk with a horse or a dog is a good thing.

Anonymous said...

MORE FOAL PICTURES PLEASE! :D

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous photo of mare and foal! Just beautiful!

Country Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Country Girl said...

Thank you, Kara, and welcome. Thank you, Dr. John. I believe a walk with or without a dog should be a daily occurence.

Laura, I will try to accomodate your wish.

~ C.G.

PS -- Kara, you are my "25" which means you are my 25th comment (see Welcome To Shangri-La below). I used to only have 0 or 1 comment. But wow. 25. I thought it would never happen . . .

Anonymous said...

great shots, as usual. You make me want to come and visit there!

You'll love the fast internet. Fast uploading of pics. Faster loading of websites...more time for photoshop!

BITR Country Girl said...

That picture of the mare with her foal is very pretty. It makes me wish I lived on a horse farm!