Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Up, up and away

I've finally ditched the dial-up and have faster internet! I'd love to say I'm thrilled, but I'm kinda confused. Maybe it was just Blogger tonight, I don't know. I had to reboot my computer about 3 times and when it works, wow! My pictures upload at the speed of, well let's just say it's a lot faster than the dial-up that I've had for too many years.
While I was outside talking with the installer, who had just arrived and was unloading his truck, I happened to look down towards the pond and saw a great white heron wading at the edge on the far side. So I went inside and grabbed the camera and switched to the zoom lens.
I had just come home from work and still had my good clothes on, and I probably should have changed, but I walked down there anyway and sat at the edge of the pond for a while and snapped a few pictures. Ok, well 44 pictures. But I ended up deleting a lot of them. And even though I got a little goose poop on my Jones New York slacks, I managed to get a couple of decent shots.
Do you notice how the water is so blue in this last shot? It started out gray/green at the top, then green for the next two shots, and now blue. I noticed when I was looking at them on the computer. I think it's the way the light was hitting the water as the bird moved from the right to the left.
And look at the second picture. Do you see the trail in the water that was left by his legs trailing it during take-off? I just found it interesting and had to point it out to you.
So here's to faster speeds, and flying high. And yes, tj I'll give you that raspberry iced tea recipe. It's really really good! I'll post it here later this week. I'll take a picture or two. Or 42.

9 comments:

Shimmy Mom said...

Nature is so amazing. Gorgeous shots. (I do have a problem with blogger not uploading very fast sometimes. I think when they have heavy traffic it's hard to connect with them.)

Mental P Mama said...

Well, a little goose poop was worth it. These shots are beautiful. And congrats on the new speed!

dlyn said...

What is a little goose poop when you got photos like these? Just beautiful!

Pat - Arkansas said...

Lovely photographs. The foot-trails would have been evident only for a brief second (or less); your timing was perfect.

Anonymous said...

Whooo-hoo! Welcome to the fast lane! LOL Now we can take care of your blog and tell Blogger "Adios"!

;-)

Minna Dyer said...

The second is my favorite... in case you were wondering.

abb said...

Gorgeous shots! The water changing color.....I fully expect you to figure out the answer and TELL me! I'd love to know. Maybe the angle you took the pic? (standing up vs. sitting down?)

Mary said...

Wow! I'm laughing at you taking 40+ pics -- I probably would have taken 140! Congrats on the high speed thing.
xoxo,
Mary

Egghead said...

I love herons. We have blue herons here but I never seem to have my camera when I need it. They love to stand out in the wetlands areas and catch frogs and such. My husband calls them my little buddies because I can't resist stopping the car to stare at them when we are coming home from work. Now if I just had my camera.