Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sunshine doesn’t just come from the skies

I’m taking a break from blogging today but you can’t even tell, can you? Well, let me explain.

I’m posting some photos that I found on the camera disk today. They’re from my husband and I’ve said it before but I love finding his pictures on the camera disk. I think these are wonderful but then I’m somewhat biased. And I also think that the pictures can speak for themselves which makes this post practically write itself.

It was another spring-like day in Maryland. And George and my husband spent nearly the entire day outside.

DSC_0958 copy 2

A flock of snow geese passes overhead.

DSC_0960 copy 2

He told me that every now and then, he’d see a Canada goose in the flock.

He told me he saw swans migrating but didn’t have the camera at the time. He said it would have made a beautiful photo.

DSC_0009 copy 2

A male downy woodpecker visits the suet cake.

DSC_0019 copy 2

And a short while later, the much larger male red-bellied woodpecker.

DSC_0971 copy 2 

And here we have the male border collie on frisbee point. This species is indigenous to our yard. And to our hearts.

 

Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog;
but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog.

Douglas Mallock

~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~

My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

Unknown Poet

 

~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~

 

I lie belly-up
in the sunshine, happier than
you ever will be.


Today I sniffed
many dog butts — I celebrate
by kissing your face.


Anonymous

 

Have a beautiful day, all. Until tomorrow, then . . .

All photos taken with a Nikon D80 and a Quantaray 70-300mm lens.

40 comments:

Hilary said...

Love that first shot.. it's just perfect!

Hilary said...

The Hilarys have arrived!!!!

The photos are great....your husband has a talent.
I think you can tell a lot, no everything, about a person,by how they feel about dogs.

Ronald Rabenold said...

Nice post; the 2 of you have excellent eyes...thanks

Gail said...

Now we know there are two talented photographers in your family.

Great shots. I adore the quotes and poems. The last one is my favorite!

Sharon said...

I love that first shot. :)

abb said...

That haiku is beyond priceless. AND the overhead shot of the snow geese is just wonderful. As is George. But you know that!

Julie Harward said...

That first shot had the correct amount in (5) to be pleasing to the eye too, right! Awesome shots! Love the black and white species too..wish I had some in my yard! Loved the dog quotes too...very funny! Come say hi :D

Caroline said...

OMG...such incredible shots! And how wonderful to see the geese...spring is coming!

Low Tide High Style said...

Love these beautiful photos and especially the doggie poetry!

Kat :)

ELK said...

really like the dog quotes...and wow the "other" photographer in your house is so good!! great outside shots!

Deb said...

great shots by your husband...thanks for sharing...love the photo of your pup...

Cheryl said...

You two really have the calling for photography. Wonder photos!

Mary said...

Oh, I love that first shot -- totally wonderful!

Marla said...

Dear George is such a cutie...

Tell your husbands that these are awesome pictures.

tj said...

...OMG! lol... I lost it on that last quote Kate! lol...lol... :oD

...Even on a day you say you're taking the day off from blogging you still manage to take the cake! ;o)

...Tell your hubby - great stuff man!

...Blessings... :o)

Erica Houskeeper said...

Such nice photos, and that first one is stunning. Glad to know that spring is almost here!

Char said...

have a beautiful night

Weezee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

I have to agree with both "Hilarys." And the poetry adds much, especially the last one; laughed out loud!

Louise said...

I love all the photos, the snow geese are especially beautiful. But I have to say, I am quite taken, as usual, by George. what a face!

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Although Miss Kate
Says she's taking a break,
Her post is just great,
Like the swans on a lake.
Her husband and George
Spent the day out of doors,
And they surely helped make
This great post from Kate.

Your husband is really getting the hang of this whole picture thing. George should just quit his day job and move to New York. He's way too photogenic.

myletterstoemily said...

lovely photos...reminded me of e.b. white's
"the trumpet of the swan"

doggie poems were pretty sweet and funny,
too!

Anonymous said...

Sniffing.... it's a good thing.. LOL

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Egghead said...

Great photos. I especially love the geese.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

BEAUTIFUL you have quite a photographer living with you... and you are not so bad yourself :) Love ya
my word is bedlock LOL

Jayne said...

LOL! I just knew that last photo was going to be "George the birdwatcher!"

Love the photo of the geese in the sky... beautiful.

Nurse Nancy said...

I just love the photos and George. My JBM loves to look at his pictures and tells me he wants a border collie! So sweet.

beth said...

LOL
I think you'll have to be taught what a "break" is :)

love the snow geese flying overhead photos....love love love !

S. Etole said...

George peeking around the tree is great as are all the others ...

Deb said...

Wait a minute...I think I saw those geese last Friday!

Deborah said...

Good morning Kate!

Its as if George poses for these shots! Hes so photogenice!!! lol
Gorgeous what you've captured in this shot of him peeking out from beside the tree...
Deborah :)

Daryl said...

The first shot and the larger woody are sensational .. not that the others are excellent but those two are standout favs! Bravo, A!

Mental P Mama said...

Beautiful! And this is what you call taking a break??

Carolynn Anctil said...

That first shot is awesome. Love the last one too! I do love a good quote and those are great, even if the last one made me go "eeew" a little bit. *smile*

Girl Tornado said...

Another winning photo of George! ;) Brings a smile to my face.

Anonymous said...

I, too, have been hearing the geese quite a bit lately as they fly above. Great first and last shots!! :-)

and...i've been on the lookout for a woodpecker, especially the pileated woodpecker...those are absolutely stunning! Just haven't seen any yet this year.

noble pig said...

The first shot is my absolute favorite, it's just so cool.

The JR said...

Your husband has a good eye. Luv them.

Kerri Farley said...

Fabulous shots! Your hubby has a LOVELY eye for the birds :)

Kerri Farley said...

And I meant to add - I LOVE GEORGE!