Sunday, May 27, 2012

If I hold on tight, is it true?

Apologies for my lengthy absence. Soon the school year will be over, and I may have a little more time to spend blogging but for now, it is what it is.

And all month long I’ve been looking forward to hosting a couple of my blogging friends, Daryl from NYC, and Reena, who lives in the Philadelphia area. I will admit to you that I was a little nervous to have them out to my house, which is utterly ridiculous because who in their right mind wouldn’t love it here? Still, I had all these plans but nothing set in stone.

They arrived Saturday around lunchtime.

 

Camera 360

It was actually my husband’s idea to take them to lunch in Chesapeake City. We ate at the Bayard House, a long-time favorite of mine. Afterward, we browsed the shops in town, then took a drive down the road to show them the horse farm that we lived on for ten years.

We stopped the car along the road that runs through the horse farm and I shot the first photo in this post from the car window with my cell phone. They were absolutely enthralled with the mares and foals. My husband worked for Northview Stallion Station for ten years until his position was ‘downsized’ in 2008. I haven’t been there since, and although it wasn’t as beautiful as it used to be, to my friends it was wonderful.

 

Camera 360

Lunch was pretty darn good, too.

We had dinner reservations back at Reena’s place, so we headed up 95 towards Philadelphia. After a wonderful meal, much laughter on the patio until the wee hours of the morning, and a dreamless sleep, we began Sunday with coffee and photography.

 

DSC_8624 copy 2

Reena’s daughter captured us taking photos of the wildlife on the back patio.

 

IMG_7060 copy 2

Daryl, me, Reena in our pj’s as we took photos of birds.

 

DSC_8615 copy 2

And this little chipmunk.

Then it was off to brunch in Manayunk at Bourbon Blue, a fantastic restaurant along the Schuylkill.

 

DSC_8661 copy 2

Don’t let the empty tables fool you. The cuisine here is excellent.

 

DSC_8655 copy 2

Our hosts ~ Reena and her professor husband who does not like posing for pictures, but graciously let me take this one.

 

DSC_8658 copy 2

My meal, the Breakfast Quesadilla.

scrambled eggs cooked with bacon in a tortilla with
cheddar cheese and guacamole, served with sides of
lyonnaise potatoes, sour cream & salsa fresca

 

 

DSC_8741 copy 2

Which is why I ended up having this salad for dinner tonight, after arriving home. The lettuce was freshly picked from my husband’s garden.

But back to my mini-trip away . . .

 

DSC_8733 copy 2

After brunch, we drove to Chestnut Hill where we walked and enjoyed the beauty of the area and the stores along Germantown Avenue. Lots of lush gardens, lovely little shops, and interesting architecture.

More photos to come.

 

DSC_8722 copy 2

But I’ll share this building that I found interesting, a bakery/bistro named Cake. I think we may have to go back here and have lunch some time.

: : :

 

Hope you’ve been enjoying the Memorial Day Weekend so far. Here’s another tune I stumbled upon. Love the soft vintage style in which the video was filmed, too.

 

.

Until later, my friends . . . thanks for visiting today.

 

123 Signature[5]

ps – to Beth, our waitress at Bourbon Blue: Hope you get that camera you want.

27 comments:

bv said...

oh my...that song. it touches me on so many levels. it is so beautiful. i always try to hold on tight. lovely photos and how great to share your spot on this earth with such good friends!?
bv xo

Carolynn Anctil said...

Ah, you saved the best for last. Good idea, I probably never would have left the cake shop, had it been first on the tour. Although, the promise of visiting with horses could do it.

Kerri Farley said...

What a wonderful day with friends!!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE the song and video.... brought tears to my eyes! Thank you so much!

Hilary said...

It does my heart good to see you out enjoying yourself with friends, and your camera, of course.
I WANT that breakfast quesadilla, AND the salad.
Loved the song, posted it on my FB page, with a nod to you for sharing it.
Glad you had a good weekend, and yes, if we hold on tight, it is true.

Gail said...

Glad all is well and you were able to visit with blog friends.

Daryl said...

oh boy was that ever fun .. and I am still full . such fgood food, good times and most important good friends .. sisters!

Mental P Mama said...

I want that breakfast quesadilla. Now.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Thank the heavens for times like this with dear friends, good food, casual conversation, strolling, shopping... when life is good.

Reena said...

How can it all be over so soon! My best part was the horse farm! So loved that countryside! Wish we could grab us some bikes and spend an afternoon clicking around those back roads!

Jill of All Trades said...

Oh what fun! I so wish I lived closer to visit all of you. Glad you had such a great visit, all of you. Now I'm off to Daryl's blog to see her pic's of the visit! Have a great weekend! Carla

sharon said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time. friends, food and cameras= good company!

Anonymous said...

This is a great post...you could absolutely tell how much fun you had, what great things you saw, and what fabulous food you ate! Excellent!

JC said...

Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Deborah said...

I agree with others who wrote, this is lovely. I get the urge to fly over and have a visit :-) Looks wonderful and I'm sure I'd love the horse ranch as well.

Good food is also always a great subject. I've only returned yesterday from what turned out to be a marvelous tour of Berlin, Germany (I'm born there). It was wonderful sights, history and lovely people and food. Photos coming up.

Country Girl said...

Thanks, all. And to Deborah ~
I so wish I could respond to you; to come visit your blog. But your e-mail is not enabled. What I mean is that your comment comes directly into my gmail inbox. Usually, I can hit reply and respond to people, but often it comes up 'blogger no-reply'. To fix this, I have no idea what to do anymore. Blogger is so different these days . . .

Does anyone know?

~ C.G.

beth said...

ohhhh.... sooooo much fun and such beautiful places and faces !!

one of these days, that threesome of girls is going to be a foursome :)

and i love that reena's hubby let you photograph him...i love his eyes. he looks so playful !!

hugs to you.....while the end of another school year comes to a close.

abb said...

Looks like one very good time!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've had a fabulous time together, and the photos compliment your post perfectly. It's always a pleasure to have friends visiting and usually leaves us feeling refreshed.

CJ x

Dianne said...

I love that you and Daryl posted the same pic, the one that Alex took
it is a wonderful portrait

Bluebird49 said...

I so envy (yes, I admit it!) your women friendships. I never have gone off on trips to see girlfriends that I don't seem to have....I so miss that. It seems my husband and I are always together and I love that, and I always want him to BE here with me---but going on trips with or to see some girlfriends sounds so beautiful and fun.

Keep sparkling, Sparkle-Girl.

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

I'm willing to arm wrestle Lauren for that breakfast quesadilla. Bring it.

thotlady said...

Love the idea of a bakery/bistro named Cake. So simple.

mrs mediocrity said...

oh, it looks like a wonderful weekend!

so glad you got to enjoy a little fun time to help get you through the rest of the school year!

how can a place named cake not be good?

Another Sister said...

Nice post. Full of fun details. I really liked the pictures of you three taking pictures and Reena's daughter capturing it.
Liked the music too.
Time for a visit soon?

Another Sister said...

Nice post. Full of fun details. I really liked the pictures of you three taking pictures and Reena's daughter capturing it.
Liked the music too.
Time for a visit soon?

The JR said...

That was sweet of him to suggest a place to take them.

Lili said...

This was such a wonderful post, I could just imagine how much fun you all had together Kate! That Chestnut Hill place is GORGEOUS with all those flowers hanging from the roof lines. And oh my, that "Cake" place really caught my eye too. Love the pic of you 3 with your cameras!! xo ~Lili