Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Chasing after happiness

I am extremely grateful for being able to live where I do. The old manor house on the hill sits on 20 partially wooded acres and its beauty gets driven home even more when people come to visit.

It was so wonderful to be able to get away, if only for a night and a day. Come Monday, I had no set plans for the day other than trying to get some more bluebird photos after noticing a pair who were scouting out one of the nesting boxes.



DSC_8874 copy 2


After about two hours, I managed to get this shot. I had the shutter speed set to 6400 which is how I caught the wings.

I thought it was worth the wait.



DSC_8921 copy 2

To appease my boredom, I took images from my seat in the yard. I think the barn in the woods in this photo looks dark and mysterious.

And it is, in real life too. ha ~



DSC_8815 copy 2

Another favorite shot. Interesting little tufts sticking out of the feathers, too.



DSC_8791 copy 2

While I’m waiting, George is often with me. It’s not good to be all moving around and playing fetch when you’re waiting for the elusive bluebirds to show up, but he’s such a sweet dog that sometimes it’s just too hard to resist.

I did resist, however, from tossing this huge branch.

Crazy pup.



DSC_8792 copy 2

Waiting for me to throw it. He’s really expecting me to throw it at this point.



DSC_8793 copy 2

I tell him no, and this is the look I got.



DSC_8762 copy 2

Another boredom shot but one I like. Miss Blackie daintily walks through the clover.



DSC_8986 copy 2

And later as she suns in the dining room window.




DSC_8977 copy 2

You yawning yet?



This is why I have the disclaimer on the blog header.

{Don’t get too excited}.



DSC_7599 copy 2

Taken a month ago ~




DSC_8800 copy 2

A robin with a les brumes texture.


And another favorite shot, below.



DSC_8871 copy words copy 2

"People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be."

~ Abraham Lincoln



Truth.



.

And now, because I’m crushing on new summer tunes, one from Alabama Shakes (although you may have already heard this one). Might not be able to play on Blogger, so click to listen on YouTube, if you wish.

It may be several days before another post due to the end of the school year crunch, which is partly why I included so many images here. Hope it made you smile, even for just a little bit.

Until next time, then . . .

123 Signature[5]

43 comments:

Sarah said...

BEAUTIFUL pictures!!! Well worth the wait!

Reena said...

Your posts always make me smile. I love those looks by George. He really is such a sweet pup. And your bluebird pics ... well just gorgeous! I'm always glad to see Ms. Blackie. She looks just like a kitty of mine years ago ...
Great quotes and absolutely true!

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

Kate, the pics are just gorgeous...I just stared at the first one for a while...and then I got jealous bc my camera's shutter speed will only go to 1600 :(
Then you brought on George and Mrs. Blackie...and that made me glad I decided today not to teach 2extra summer school classes in July...I want to be at home...where I belong...with my camera, my animals, and my family (not necessarily in that order, of course ;)

Country Gal said...

Yes these photos did make me smile as did the post because it sounds just like what I do and what my Miggy does as well always with me and expecting me to play as I am trying to take bird photos lol ! Like you I wouldnt have it any other way ! Your posts and photos are far from yawnsville they are FANTASTIC ! Have a great evening !

Cheryl said...

Kate,
Your photos are amazing. The colors are so sharp. I love looking at them.
And of course George.... sweet George!!

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

The wings on those birds are simply exquisite.

JaneK said...

oh Kate! I'm speechless.... those are awesome; that last one with the quote is quite inspiring!

Ellen said...

The bluebird wing shot is amazing. So glad you waited for that pic.

Unknown said...

Kate.
speechless.

Linda said...

I wish I could see the beauty in ordinary things the way you do:) The Manor House is so peaceful.

Another Sister said...

OMG to the first shot. Loved 'em all- but that one made me say "whoa" out loud. XXOO

Candace said...

All beautiful photos but that first bluebird is stunning!

Cloudia said...

you are such a pleasant friend to 'hang' with. George makes me SMILE, your birds make me GASP!


Friendly Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral
> < } } (°>

Michelle said...

Yep, LOTS of smiles in that post!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Bluebirds are my favorite...and so hard to capture. Your images are wonderful!....

LOVE George on the stone step.

KathyB. said...

Oh yes, the photo was worth the wait!

Daryl said...

oh that George .. what a sad look .. go get your new toy .. and how nice of Ms Blackie to make an appearance .. OMG OMG OMG those bluebird shots are sensational, yes well worth the wait xo

Marilyn said...

I couldn't sleep one night last week or the week before!!?? and saw this group on the Letterman show..."interesting" bunch of people...like the song tho'...your photos are fabulous, as always...always.

beth said...

wow. wow. wow......you have captured the best bird photos i have seen in years !!!

and george and that extra heavy duty stick just made me laugh out loud !!

xo

The JR said...

Mommy please throw that stick!

Luv all the pictures, you can bore me all you want.

Jamie said...

I love bluebirds- they make me think of my grandmother. I like to think she's sending me a sign when I see one. A couple of months ago I actually had 7 bluebirds land on the fence as I walked past. I don't know if it was a sign from beyond the grave or that I'm secretly a Disney Princess. Either way it was cool.

Launi said...

They did make me smile. Your birdy photos are always a favorite. What a lovely life you have.
:}

Jill of All Trades said...

Sending bloggy love for the snapshots. Well worth the wait I would say.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Boredom?! Are you crazy? That's my idea of bliss, right there.

I'm suffering from an extreme case of photo envy. Those bluebird images just make me sigh. Really.

George looks just like Willow. The girl exhausts me with her ceaseless desire for play. Fortunately, she prefers a small tennis size ball over trees. So far.

BB said...

Kate - that bluebird shot with the quote is wonderful. That needs to be a Pinterest poster for sure... can you? Do you?

BB

Donna S. said...

Now, Kate, I am with George!! Why didn't you throw that little stick for him? LOL Silly doggie!!

Gale Wall said...

Stunning...as always!

Lee Owenby said...

Love your photos, especially the first one.

Kerri Farley said...

This post makes me want to do a cartwheel!
These are absolutely stunning!
Your bluebirds in flight just take a my breath away!
And George....oh George ..... what a sweetie!

altar ego said...

Great photos. Great! Always a balm for my soul. Glad to have some time this morning to come visit and drink it all in.

Have a good end-of-week and great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, George's pitiful and pathetic brown eyes in that last picture really speak volumnes. Oh mom, PLEASE throw the stick!

Love, love, love the bird wings!

Debbie from Illinois

Lili said...

Oh Kate your bluebird shots have me in awe! And the shots of George... so handsome and full of expression. Love all of them and yes it's hard not to smile seeing all of these. xo ~Lili

The Weaver of Grass said...

Oh how I wish we had bluebirds here in the UK Kate - beautiful shots.

RURAL said...

It was worth every minute that you spent there, and look at the photos you captured.

Love George, of course, but Miss Blackie captures my heart...I see much of Boo in her.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Mental P Mama said...

Never dull here;) George is too funny.

Dianne said...

your capture of the wings is stunning!

George is a total delight
I love the look he gave you

mrs mediocrity said...

oh my. how could anyone ever be bored with your gorgeous photos! i love the bluebird shots, just fabulous... and george just cracks me up!

sharon said...

I love the bird pics. You did an excellent job at catching the wings in flight. Well worth the wait!

Bluebird49 said...

Oh my! Those "on the wing shots" are well worth your wait Glad I don't have to wait that long, tho. Don't have your patience!! How do you even get a 6400 shutter speed!!

Jan's camera said...

Hi those bluebird shots are wonderful. Absolutely worth the wait.

Georgianna said...

Hi Kate! Your bluebird photos made my jaw drop. Wow, definitely worth the wait – those wings are amazing. (We have lots of birds here with not much waiting required but I am useless at capturing them.)

Very impressive!!

– g

eileeninmd said...

George is a cutie, and the bluebirds are gorgeous. Great captures, especially the last shot. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

OH! I am so envious....such clarity.....love....smiles