Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Riches I hold in light esteem

I know, I know. It’s been days since I’ve posted. When I begin a post, it’s the images that always seem to come easily to me. The words are another story.

And although a lot has been happening lately, I have very little to say. When I get home, I often feel so exhausted and the only thing I want to do is just sit and read a book or something, maybe take a small walk. May and early June are one of the busiest times of the school year and sometimes I can’t believe all that I can accomplish from the hours between 7:30 and 4:00.

Today’s images are of the flowers my sons sent me for Mother’s Day.


DSC_8209 copy 2

They arrived at school on Friday, and my boys know how much I love tulips. I’d been meaning to take some macro shots of the beautiful bouquet I was sent, but kept putting it off. Finally I could wait no longer, as the blooms were just at the edge of getting a little too long in the tooth.

To keep my tulips fresh, I slice the bottoms of the stems daily, and then plunge them into ice cubes and ice water to which I add a little bit of sugar.

It actually seems to work.


DSC_8217 copy 2

I took these shots yesterday evening, and the light was low but I’m glad I took them  then because when I came home today, the blooms were at their end.

There were petals everywhere ~


DSC_8191 copy 2

I love how the pink blooms opened up and just stayed like that.

Very pretty.



DSC_8219 copy 2

Riches I hold in light esteem
And Love I laugh to scorn
And lust of Fame was but a dream
That vanished with the morn– 

And if I pray, the only prayer
That moves my lips for me
Is–"Leave the heart that now I bear
And give me liberty."

Yes, as my swift days near their goal
'Tis all that I implore
Through life and death, a chainless soul
With courage to endure! 

~ THE OLD STOIC by Emily Bronte, 1841 

DSC_8135 copy 2

And finally, I give you this sweet mourning dove. She has her eyes shut and they’re such a pretty blue. Also note her pink feet, as well as that gorgeous bokeh behind her that comes from a mixture of the lens (the Nikon 70-300mm VR) and the light between the leaves of the trees.

I’ll try not to wait so long between posts ~ so until then, my friends . . .

123 Signature[5]

30 comments:

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

The end of the school year is absolutely impossible. It takes everything I've got just to keep my head on straight. These images, however, are so peaceful and beautiful :) Thanks for a soft ending for today :)

Country Gal said...

Beautiful photos . I bet you are beat by the time you get home , long days aren't they ? I am retired now but I remember those days of work , I would like to get away from the people world and go for a nice walk with nature and just sit, thats what helped me relax after a long day from work . I like using my 55-300mm VR lens for my bird photos . Morning Doves are funny to watch . Have a good day .

Michelle said...

I thought the first tulip photo was wonderful until I saw the dove photo, which is exquisite. Definitely one I could see in your shop!

beth said...

along with being a bird whisperer {and you totally put that dove in a meditative state} you're a tulip whisperer, too !!

i had no idea that's what one does to keep tulips in bloom.

"you is so smart"......xo

Unknown said...

Only you could make those doves gorgeous...

go easy on yourself. fill your soul. I'll be here . ( says the blogger who posts every week or so)

Cloudia said...

yes, Spring strikes me speechless too. such a busy time of year- and so much beauty so see outside of the computer. . . . I'm grateful to people who visit my posts this time of year. . .


Warm Aloha from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral

> < } } (°>

JaneK said...

post whenever you can and whenever you feel like it; they will always be welcomed and I don't think your audience has any expectations of frequency.... we're just always happy to see your talent.

and talented you are! LOVELY shots and I am always impressed by the poetry you post....

thanks for sharing....

Low Tide High Style said...

We have lots of Mourning Doves around, but I've never noticed their eyes or their feet, now you have me intrigued! And what beautiful flowers your son's sent you...that first shot...gorgeous! So glad you caught them in time.

Kat

alphabet soup said...

Fluffy Kate

Nothing to say - you must be totally exhausted..... Those flowers might have been at the end of their days but aren't the colours sensational?
Don't work too hard and rest that knee...
Ms Soup

BB said...

Dear Lord - I hope I don't get judged on blog regularity. Am hopeless at the moment - I think people give up on me sometimes!

Your flowers are divine... your birds... indescribable. So talented. Adore the treatment with the script.
:-)
BB

Daryl said...

interesting that Hilary's Mourning Doves also had they eyes closed .. maybe they expect a flash? I love tulips too ...

Anonymous said...

Your posts are worth the wait! All lovely shots. I have mourning doves roosting in one of the eves near the roof line of my house. At first, I was concerned and wanted them out but now, their cooing gives me comfort. And...a wonderful bouquet and bokeh!

The JR said...

oh just do what I do sometimes, post pics and don't worry about writing.

luv them all, the dove is a beautiful creature

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Posts can be wordless, don't ya know :-) Pictures speak a thousand words...

Love these, as always...

shirley fachilla said...

Thank you for the tulips, the mourning dove (one of my favorite of all birds with their sweet innocence) and the first line of the Bronte poem... all treasures.

Hilary said...

Oh your tulip images are just so beautiful. I especially love that first one. And as Daryl said, I also have a photo of mourning doves.. a pair of them, as my last shot today.

Carolynn Anctil said...

*sigh* I love the mourning dove. So lovely.

That's such a pretty bouquet. I poke each stem of the tulip with a pin right near the blossom. It makes them last longer and they don't droop. Tried and true method that really works.

I hit dry spells on my blog a lot, especially when I'm busy or I'm going through something emotionally trying. You said it well, there's a lot going on but I don't have much to say.

Robyn said...

Your Mother's Day Flowers are beautiful and your pictures stunning! I love your work.

thecatalanway said...

Everyone else has already said it so I just send you a couple of words
Beautiful! Beautiful!

K x

Unknown said...

Your photography is just so beautiful and your macro shots of flowers have inspired more than a few of my cookies!

Hilary said...

I love mourning doves.......there is one nesting on my front porch....we tiptoe by her, so as not to disturb her.
Birds rule, ya know.

Jan's camera said...

Hi I've never seen such a lovely photo of a mourning dove. I always look forward to your posts no matter how much time in between.

GailO said...

Busy days Kate...but you have stopped to see the beauty when you can...what gorgeous flowers!

Take care of your self and get back here just often enough to reassure us that all is well:)

xoxo

Caroline said...

Wow wow wow...these are stunning and that first photo is absolutely gorgeous.

Jill of All Trades said...

Such wonderful photos.

sharon said...

Beautiful flowers! I know how you feel about writing all of the time. I get home from work and I'm too tired to do anything, much less think. Have a great weekend!

Reena said...

Tulips are one of my faves! Beautiful images! Your shots are always magical!

forgetmenot said...

Such lovely photos--the flowers are beautiful and the dove is a great capture. Love the background in all of them. Have a great week. Mickie :)

Lili said...

Love the mourning dove shot, I keep noticing how many I keep seeing around here lately that I had never really noticed before. Those tulips are gorgeous too. xo ~Lili

Nikki | The Ginger Diaries said...

Hi kate! I have been following your blog for about two years now and your pictues keep amazing me! I just saw you have the 70-300 mm and i was wondering if you could help me out! I am a photography rookie and am looking to get a really nice zoom lens to experiment and expand my skills. The problem is. That i am having a hard time finding the exact differences between the regular Nikkor AF-G 70-300mm F4-5.6 telezoom and the Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm F 4.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR . I know you use the last one, but what makes it better than the other? I have been looking around on fora but can't find the answer. Can you maybe help me out? :)