Sunday, May 20, 2012

A job well done

Busy weekend – with the promise of a busy week to come. Anyone that works in a school will tell you that the crazy crunch times are the beginning of the school year, and then again at the end. Graduation at our school is always the first Sunday in June and there’s much to do.

This weekend I wanted to get some cleaning done, but I also wanted to finally get some flower baskets put together. No matter where we’ve lived, I always seem to have flower baskets and a sweet little spot to sit on a porch. This little porch on the back side of the house is just that, although it gets a little too warm in the late afternoon sun.

 

DSC_8536 copy 2

I worked hard all day and then rewarded myself with a cocktail and a sit-down to read some more of a book I can’t seem to put down after picking it up.

 

DSC_8534 copy 2

I’m reading 11/22/63.

Then I had a little guacamole with my Stephen King.

 

 

DSC_8537 copy 2

I bought a pair of director’s chairs at Pier One Imports this weekend. Our old ones are weathered to the point of falling apart, so I bit the bullet and was happy to find that there there was a sale going on.

 

DSC_8540 copy 2

The geraniums that have been wintering in my window sills are back in the planters again. I probably should have cut them back . . . they really are way too little leggy.

 

DSC_6449 copy 2

But the blooms were just too pretty ~

: : :

Not sure when I’ll resurface to say hello, and getting around to visiting my favorite blogs this week is going to be a little sketchy too. I hope your week is a good one. The weather here this weekend has been nothing short of glorious ~ and in the breeze this evening, I can smell the wild roses wafting through the open windows. I love this time of year!

Well, except for the craziness going on at work right now . . .

123 Signature[5]

21 comments:

msdewberry said...

I read that Stephen King book a while back. First book I read on my then new E-Reader! I really enjoyed it too. Sitting down to read after a bit of work is a nice reward, especially when you pretty up your favorite spot to rest in!
Hope your weekend is a good one!

Cloudia said...

nice day-
nice CHAIR!


Friendly Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

> < } } (°>

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I haven't read Stephen King in a long time but just recently committed myself to a King read-along challenge. He lost me with that weird clown stuff a few years back, but I think I can get into this one :)
Hang on this week! Better times, they are a'comin' :)

Bluebird49 said...

I hope it won't be too long before you post--you're about the only one of three that I read anymore! The blooms are SO pretty and that chair--is COLORFUL!

Michelle said...

That geranium may be leggy, but that is a beautiful, artful photo of it!

Hilary said...

Love that chair.........and guacamole is a weakness of mine.........and the book was awesome.......sounds like a great day under all that sun.

Jeanette said...

I loved that book but then I love everything he writes! Have a good week!

Carolynn Anctil said...

I confess, I'm not a geranium fan, but your beautiful photo has me rethinking my position.

Spring is my favourite time of year, too. Sadly, it's been very slow coming here in our new home. The blossoms are finally starting to appear and I think/hope/pray that we had our last frost last week.

Take some time out to breathe, this week!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,
I can so relate to your comment about how busy this time of year is in a school. I am a secretary in a big high school in Canada. Our graduation is the end of June and barely feel like we have enough time to pull it off again. Do you notice the older we get the faster the school year goes? I am looking forward to summer vacation (4 weeks) Your flowers are beautiful.
Kim :)

The JR said...

I bet you are extremely busy with end of year school stuff.

Great pics.

Daryl said...

I never did get to buy those plants for our window box .. oy .. I cannot wait til Saturday ..

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

I love a good read... will google the book..

Leggy geraniums are a thing of beauty, especially when in an urn such as this.

mrs mediocrity said...

I spent the entire weekend in the garden, it was gorgeous here. Today I am hobbling around like an old woman, but it was worth it.

I loved that book, I hadn't read him in a year or two, and I have to say that I think this one became my favorite of his.

Love the chairs, hope things settle down for you soon!

beth said...

try to enjoy your sketchy week...and just think, summer break is almost here :)

here's a little cheer to keep you motivated.....
go go kate...you can do it....go go kate....the birds need suet
{sorry but it's all i could find to rhyme with do it... but my heart was in it, along with my pom poms}

love the chairs. want them.

and oh you do flowers so perfectly !!
xo

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Love the cheerful colors of the chair and the flowers. Hope the week goes by quickly for you.

Reena said...

Oh, you do know how to treat yourself! Guacamole and cocktails after yard work! Love that chair! Can't wait to see ya!

Anonymous said...

The blooms are incredibly pretty. I imagine it's a very busy time for high schools now and also a very exciting time, especially for the students.

CJ x

GailO said...

What a glorious weekend it was here too! Sounds like you happily got a lot more done than I did:)

Love your new chairs...what pretty fabric!

Hope you get a vacation after this busy time of year!

Mary said...

Ooo, your geranium is gorgeous! And I love the chair! What is that hanging behind it? A candle holder? I'm just full of questions today... ;)

We can smell the wild roses, too. They are about a week early here. It's been a parade of wonderful scents here this spring...

Hope work is not too crazy... xoxo

Jill of All Trades said...

I have to say I don't think I've ever read a Stephen King book...

Love the pink geranium.
Carla

Lili said...

Now I'm craving gaucamole. Such a pretty cheery chair and that geranium is such a beautiful shade of pink. xo ~Lili