Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The perils of working at a school

I don’t think I’ve done this little sweet treat justice with my photography. To see them all laid out, all 24 of them for a classroom and some extras, well it just makes me happy.

Sometimes I think it’s some sort of affliction that I have that makes me well up at the simplest things. Seeing these little treats brings back memories of when I was a doting mom and did things such as this.

This was made with all of the obvious ingredients shown here and was held together by frosting. I brought him home wrapped up and safely secured in my lunchbox so that I could share him with you. This cookie is just too darn cute.

DSC_0422 copy 2

So one of the perils of working at a school is all the goodies that come out of the woodwork. I’ve been doing a great job of staying away from them lately, but I love Keebler Fudge Stripe cookies and couldn’t help myself with this one.

Another peril of working at the school involves the embarrassment I sometimes suffer in the morning car line by simply being myself. I told you about my recent Allman Bros. debacle, but what happened today was just typical me.

I never use a hairdryer at home. It’s just no use with my curly hair and it looks best when air-dryed anyway. So what I do is what anybody would do (or so I thought), and that’s dry it on the way to work using the fans from the car. I point the fans to my hair, turn the heat up just a tad, and then blast the air on my head. It takes about 10 minutes to dry my short hair this way and besides, it’s multi-tasking and is something that has always worked for me.

Unfortunately, this morning I was in lah-lah land all the way to school, day dreaming while driving, thinking about seeing my loved ones this week on Thanksgiving, and it wasn’t until I pulled into the school driveway that I noticed that my hair was still damp. Gah!

I’d forgotten to turn on the fans!

So I quickly turned it on full blast and put my head right up to the little slats on the dashboard and I didn’t care who saw me as I drove around the school and out back to my parking space. Unfortunately my co-worker Rich was outside in the car line directing traffic and now makes fun of the way I dry my hair. And he’s told everyone.

And apparently, everyone does not dry their hair thisaway.

I was more embarrassed at having been discovered rocking out to the car radio, so honestly this is nuthin’. Nuthin’ I can’t handle.

Loved loved loved reading all your comments yesterday. Thanks so much for filling in the blanks. I tried to respond to everyone who’s linked via e-mail because some of the answers were just so touching.

Until tomorrow, then?

37 comments:

Hilary said...

That turkey is a cute, fun cookie and so are you. Thanks for the laugh. :)

Farmchick said...

Love that turkey. I will have to share it with my co-workers. I also work at a school and do love it. However, everyone is always in your "business". Just like family!

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

Please don't eat that precious cookie! Pretty please. Thanks for today's smile...love the way you dry your hair. :))

Anonymous said...

Love the cookie!!! and you are so darn lucky to be able to dry your hair in that manner. *sigh* if only. Happy Thanksgiving!

Gail said...

Wonderful cookie craft idea. Dry your hair the way you want to, all the things you do make up the special person you are.

Kerri Farley said...

LOVE that turkey!!!

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

That cookie is adorable. I completely get the whole welling up with tears things over something like that. I completely understand. Also, I dry my hair by opening the sun roof and windows, but obviously that doesn't work when it's raining. Or cold.

Now, let's get down to business.

Who is baking your birthday cake?

Hilary said...

You ate that sweet thing??

tj said...

...Oh girl, you're so dadgum cute AND funny! lol... I read that Allman Bro's. post and nearly died laughing and then continued on with the hair drying story and liked to of fell out of my chair! lol... I swear you and I are cut from the same cloth... :o)

...And that cookie? How cute is that?!

...Thanks for sharing your day with us 'cause it sure makes my day!

...Blessings... :o)

Cloudia said...

You are a favorite cookie of mine. :)

Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

A New England Life said...

What a cute little treat! I'm sure my girls made things like that in school. Now they won't let the kids bring sweets into the local schools at all, at least in our district anyway.

I'm glad you've found an economical, time saving way to dry your hair. If I did that it would look like I had an afro afterwards. LOL!

Sharon

Mental P Mama said...

gah, indeed.....until tomorrow. And do we have anything planned for tomorrow....hmmmmm?

Char said...

i want to gobble him up! LOL

i went to work with damp hair today too. not to worry - we were styling together today.

tainterturtles said...

Just today my library volunteer came in to work and I helped her find a cookie turkey recipe on google. Wow, I like your turkey a lot better. I will have to show her your blog post.

Love the hair story today. Of course a male has to be the one to razz you about your hair...geez.

Mary said...

My husband's grandmother used to dry her hair over the gas stove. She came over from Ireland when she was 16, and must have dried her hair in front of the fire when she was a girl...

You are lucky not to have to fiddle with blowdryers and round brushes and curling irons, etc.

Love the cookie. How cute is that?!

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

1. I miss working at a school.

2. I LOVE Keebler fudge stripe cookies too.

3. I have curly hair that I can not blow dry either. My preferred method is to wash it at night and sleep with it wet. Then I straighten it in the morning.

4. Love the new header.

Sue said...

This story was just as good as you rocking out to the music...Who would have thought you could dry your hair using your car's air vents....very creative...Have a wonderful holiday with your hubby and your family...Oh and ofcourse George!! Sue.

Jeanne Walker said...

Dropping in to wish the Young family a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with great eats, great treats and great family and friends to enjoy it with!

Happy Thanksgiving to all and to all a good night...hopefully without having to take antacids!

suzanna said...

your turkey is precious!

J'Ollie Primitives said...

OHHHH it's a TURKEY! I was all like "MMMMMmmmMMMMmmm cooookie" without stopping to think that it represented anything but something to eat. Immediately.

It's been a long day.

MaggieGem said...

Some of your antics are just too funny! Cute turkey cookie too :-)

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KATE!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the school goodies. I used to volunteer at Amy's first school and we used to get alsorts of goodies at Christmas time sent in by mums. I'd send in a huge tin of chocolates too.

CJ xx

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

ADORABLE! Who thinks up such things, anyway? So clever. I wish I had a classroom full of kids to make them for.

Daryl said...

Pfffit to Rich .. I am still making fun of him and his warnings about the axe murderer I might be ... silly man, axes are heavy, I would have garroted while you dried your hair!

Skogkjerring said...

I love that turkey cookie!! Oh and I ADORE those peanut butter cookies- I wish we had those in Norway and chocolate covered pretzels...my mouth is watering all over my computer keyboard....mmmmmm..wish we had cute candies and cookies to make cute things like that here...
Have a great Thanksgiving tomorrow!! We won't be celebrating like Americans this year, it's just me and the kids, work tomorrow, and Friday...so I think we'll be doing good if we have chicken and give thanks!! ;-))

abb said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUUUUUUUU!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUUUUUUUU!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR KAAAAAAATE!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUUUUUUUU!

We'll raise a toast to you next weekend! Can't wait, my friend.

Caroline said...

Love the turkey... Is it your birthday too?

Here is a present for you (well, at least an easy tutorial on how to download backgrounds into your blogger blog). I am doing something new and spent hours trying to find some directions that are understandable to someone with no html knowledge...wasn't easy. Anyway, this info is incredible!

http://coffeeteaphotography.blogspot.com/2009/09/coffeeshop-blogger-unwrapped-adding.html

Happy thanksgiving!!!

Big Hair Envy said...

That turkey is too darn cute!!! Want to know what makes me well up? A wreath ornament that Snow White made in preschool. It's HUGE, and it's made of construction paper and glitter. It's hung with a faded pink pipecleaner. She gets angry because I hang it on the front of the tree!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope it's the best one yet:)

The Weaver of Grass said...

I don't dry my hair that way, Kate, but I might well do so in the future - brilliant idea.
That cookie is far too good to eat.

beth said...

i miss making cookies like this from when my kids were little...

and the wet hair and me leaving the house that way...NEVER...as I look like a drowned rat when my hair is wet and if anyone saw me they would call animal protective services....

Betty said...

That is a very cute cookie.Curley hair is my favorite. I air dry mine too all thought I have never dried it in the car.I will have to remember that.
Happy Birthday and Happy Thanksgiving too.
~~Love,Hugs and Good Thoughts~~

mom x 2 said...

OH my goodness! Those cookies are absolutely adorable!!!

cottage farm villa said...

OMG, that cookie is too darn cute! So creative!

PinkCat said...

Somehow I've managed to wander onto your blog and I wanted to say how lovely it is. I loved your words and the pictures are so peaceful. It was just so relaxing to read and I'll definitely be back!

GailO said...

This is definitely going in my list of things to do with my grandchildren...Adorable!

I have short hair because I hate dealing with it:)

Anonymous said...

Some secrets are just sooo hard to keep. Soon I'll post about my most embarrassing hair moments. No hair dryers were involved, but a car was.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal
Just Vignettes