Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Nothing gold can stay

Over the weekend, I took some photographs in what’s left of the garden, and working on them tonight to share them with you, I was feeling a little poetic about the time of year.

Since I don’t possess any talent at all when it comes to writing poetry, I’ll share a few of my favorite lines with you.

DSC_0445 copy 2

November comes
And November goes,
With the last red berries
And the first white snows.
With night coming early,
And dawn coming late,
And ice in the bucket
And frost by the gate.
The fires burn
And the kettles sing,
And earth sinks to rest
Until next spring.

-  Elizabeth Coatsworth

DSC_0447 copy 2

We finished what was left of this lettuce.  And it was good.

DSC_0449 copy 2

I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by staying in the house. 
So I spend almost all the daylight hours in the open air.
-  Nathaniel Hawthorne

DSC_0454 copy 2

I cannot agree more with Mr. Hawthorne. A beautiful day is meant to be spent out in it.

Here, basil gone to seed. And below, a lone leaf from the grapevine.

DSC_0460 copy 2

I love it here at the old manor house on the hill.

 

DSC_0469 copy 2

Nothing Gold Can Stay
by Robert Frost

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

:: ~ :: ~ :: ~ ::

Until tomorrow, my friends . . .

28 comments:

Hilary said...

Just beautiful, Kate. Your macros.. as always are magnificent! I love that grapevine leaf. It's perfect.

TexWisGirl said...

Lovely posts and poetry - even if it wasn't scripted by you! :)

TexWisGirl said...

Lovely posts and poetry - even if it wasn't scripted by you! :)

Char said...

beautiful shots

Dawn said...

Robert Frost...one of my favorites.
And your photos...also always one of my favorites!!

Liz said...

I always find it funny, the different seasons in your world and mine :o) Today I did a huge photo post on spring and the bursts of wonderful colour and heat in my garden..! On the same day I read yours about the lustre of gold leaving for another year, waiting in slumber for another season to pass. We live in such a wonderful world really don't we..?
Lizzie
xxx

JacksDad said...

Ha! How many country songs did that Robert Frost guy write? Not a lot I bet!! :)

Dawning Inspiration said...

Love Robert Frost's work... and you do live in the most gorgeous place!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Beautiful. As is the manor house...life does hand us roses along with the thorns now and then, doesn't it.

BB said...

As usual, your closeups just BLOW me away. Amazing Kate - you have SUCH an eye...

Love your George calendar - these calendars are all the rage!
:-)
BB

Deb said...

your photos go well with the poetry...very nice post Kate...

Country Gal said...

Beautiful photos and post. Have a great day !

Mental P Mama said...

Perfection;)

Kerri Farley said...

Each visit to your blog is amazing!

The JR said...

Beautiful post! Luv the pictures and the poetry.

LivewithFlair said...

I'm in heaven here! Frost and Hawthorne AND pictures of curly little leaves in one post? Thank you!!

Carolynn Anctil said...

I do love a Robert Frost poem. It's been bitterly cold here the last couple of days, so I'm not spending much time outdoors.

Daryl said...

Lovely words to match your lovely photos

Mary said...

So beautiful! Loved the poetry and your gorgeous images!

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Beautiful, the words and the pictures.

Lili said...

You just reminded me how much I enjoy poetry and I don't take the time to read it nearly enough. Your lovely images with it couldn't be more perfect. xo ~Lili

mrs mediocrity said...

beautiful. love the words you chose for these photos, and you know how i love poetry :)

GailO said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous photos!...and Frost has the perfect words to go with them...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Kate!

Gail said...

Absolutely wonderful photos and the words are so perfect.

Skeletalmess said...

Wonderful captures showcasing the beautiful colors of fall.

Gail said...

There's an award at my place...hope some new folks come to visit you.

Happy Eat Too Much Day!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh sweetie, this Ozark Farm Chick is in awe of your golden pics. I'm not a fan of the winter months so after the last leaf falls I start plannin' for spring baby!!!

I'm soooo not a snowbunny!!! :o)

Have a wonderfully blessed Thanksgiving from the beautiful hills and hollers of the Missouri Ponderosa!!!

maillady said...

Happy Turkey day to you and your family katie, and most of all Happy Birthday day to you. love ya and all you do .