Monday, November 15, 2010

When in doubt, grab the brass ring

Hello, my friends. I’m finally home and I’ve missed you, but I sure had a wonderful time away. It’s late as I write this and I wanted to check in before I hit the hay.

I don’t know how many places I’ve stayed where free high-speed internet was touted, yet it doesn’t work. The internet was down the entire time at the hotel, but the weather was incredibly beautiful, so who cares. I’ve just returned from the North Fork on Long Island, NY. All I can say is WOW. What a beautiful place this is.

Back in September, I was invited by a friend to take a trip to help celebrate her birthday. Her husband’s family is from the North Fork area, and she thought a tour of the vineyards out there would be a fun thing to do.

DSC_0454 copy 2

We stayed at The Soundview Inn, outside of Greenport. This was our beach. Our hotel room was more like an apartment, with two bedrooms, two baths, a nice sized living room and dining room and a full kitchen. Good price, too.

DSC_0502 copy

We shopped in Greenport where I shot this photo. I liked the sign and wanted to eat lunch there but was still full from breakfast. Ha!

 

DSC_0533 copy 2

We rode an old-fashioned carousel and I actually managed to grab the brass ring. What fun and what memories it brought back!

We laughed, we marveled at the scenery, we dined at some great eateries, we visited wineries . . .

 

DSC_0692 copy 2

This one is Peconic Bay Winery, where we listened to some great music and watched the sun go down.

 

DSC_0726 copy 2

I had such a wonderful time with these friends I’ve known for over 30 years. Their family is like my second family. That’s me on the far left, then Jo, Sherrie, and Peg. Jo and Peg are sisters and Sherrie is married to their brother who my husband and I have known since high school. Happy Birthday, Peg!

Have a great Monday, all ~ and thanks for stopping by.

Love ya,

35 comments:

Lisa said...

You had a wonderful time by looking at your photos. Nice to get away and maybe it was a blessing the internet was down. Its nice to be away and away from it all. Stunning photos.
Have a good week.

Dawn said...

What a relief!!! No internet...nice for a time:))

Glad you had a great time away...isn't it nice to have friends that remain over the years!!!!!
Thanks for sharing....I think I need to find me a weekend away:)

Have a wonderful new week!

Hilary said...

Looks and sounds like FUN.
I love the picture of four friends.
Nice.
Good to get away sometimes, isn't it?

Char said...

looks and sounds like a great time! welcome home

JacksDad said...

What a nice vacation!!! I almost feel as if I were there with you.

Unknown said...

That sounds like a great vacation! The beach scene is adding to my homesickness, aggravated by the knowledge that we'll be headed home for a week in mid-December. I'm flashing back to my childhood when the calendar seemed to slow to a crawl as Christmas approached!

maillady said...

Wow kate, glad you got home safe and were not too tired to post for us. love the pictures and we too had a wonderful visit. all i can say is GOOD TIMES!!!!! love ya

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Hi Kate:
You sure captured the beauty and fun of your trip. The photo of you with your friends is really great. A great memento of your time together.
Hope you have a great week!
xoxo
Donna

MaggieGem said...

Looks like a great time and marvelous fall weather!

deborah said...

a fun and relaxing weekend! So glad you grabbed the brass ring and enjoyed yourself!

wayne15575 said...

It's so good to have you home. Glad that you and your husband had a good time with your friends.

Really missed my daily dose though...hahaha

Kerri Farley said...

Oh what fun! Love the shot of the sign and you reflected in the pic :)

Mary said...

Oh, it looks like such a fun time, and the weather was just perfect, wasn't it?
xoxo

Country Gal said...

Glad you had such a wonderful time. It looks like a fantastic place! Have a great day !

Deb said...

glad you had a good time and made it back safe and sound...nice looking ladies...

Sarah said...

Nice place! I think I'll put it on my "list." Glad you had such a good time with old friends. Thanks for sharing with us.

(I find that weekend Internet problem in hotels a lot! I think the person who takes care of the router doesn't work on weekends! And everyone else is clueless.)

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

What a great weekend experience. Love that rocky beach, and the sound of your "apartment"!...

Laura ~Peach~ said...

what a wonderful time so glad you had a ball and i am glad the internet did not take any of your time there :)
Happy Monday to you :)
love n hugs
Laura

Mental P Mama said...

I've been to that winery! I am sooooo glad you got away, and that the weather was so glorious!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Looks like a beautiful trip. There's something about wineries that I love. They just seem so peaceful and old world.

abb said...

Recharging with friends is simply the best!

mrs mediocrity said...

I know, the internet never works in hotels. I think they do it on purpose.
It looks like you had a fabulous time, you need those kind of weekends every once in a while.

sharon said...

looks like you had a lot of fun! I'm jealous, I love the beach!! thanks for the pictures and memories in the making.

Unknown said...

Nothing can replace the fun of laughter with old friends....those who know us from way back! smiles.

GailO said...

The weather this weekend was absolutely perfect! Perfect for wandering about the vineyards....what fun!

Isn't it wonderful that the internet wasn't working and you could just relax!

Cloudia said...

Just LOOK at how may of us resonate to YOU!




Aloha from Waikiki :)

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>

Daryl said...

Sounds like an almost perfect, aw what the heck even w/o WiFi it sounds perfect and I can see the resemblance of Jo and Peg! Is Sherrie married to Warren? Cool shot. You all look wonderful .. love your shade Ms K!

Daryl said...

shades .. i love your SHADES

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

lovely pictures....that's so nice to have such nice friends like that....after all these years...

they are treasures in your life....

happy to stop by today....
kary and teddy
xxx

Lili said...

Oh I like it when we get to see a glimpse of you Kate! You have a glow about you even if that is the sun hitting upon your pretty auburn locks. Cheers! ~xo Lili

Anonymous said...

Girly week-ends rock! Love that bakery shop sign. Such an original name too.

Di

Another Sister said...

Thanks for sharing. How much wine did you buy?

Kirsty Girl said...

Gorgeous photos! I particularly love the beach shot! Beautiful.

Donna S. said...

Sounds wonderful!!!

The JR said...

Sounds terrific!