Monday, February 11, 2008

Dogs just wanna have fun

"Dogs are our link to paradise.
They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent.
To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
~ Milan Kundera
As much as they love their human owners, I truly believe that the thing dogs love the most of all is being with other dogs. It's their raison d'etre. One of his favorite things George likes to do lately is to run the fence across the farm road here. The yellow lab on the left is Natasha and she lives there. Every day she has two visitors come over, the black lab and the little puppy on the right. They stay for the morning and then they go home. And while they're there, George is always out there talking and playing with them. Mostly they just like to run. (Don't ask me why he can't go into the fence. You'll have to talk to my husband about that. George is actually his dog. And he just doesn't want him going into the fenced yard.) When no canine friends are available, George turns to the next best thing. The felines. The black cat you've already met. She lives in our home. The white & grey is a stray that I feel sorry for, so I put food out. Don't say it, I don't want to hear it. This cat absolutely loves George. Don't think that he's hurting her in this top photo here, because he's not. He's extremely gentle. And she loves it. You can tell. This is her happy face.
After playing with other creatures, walks are the Best Thing Ever. Mention the word and he's ready to go. Even if he looks like he's asleep.
I just love this dog. Disclaimer: no cats were harmed during the filming of this post.

13 comments:

brneyedgal967 said...

Keep the posts and pics of George coming. I can't get enough of all things dogs. His markings are beautiful and he's so pretty. You can tell by looking at him he's got the right combination of mischeviousness and sweetness.

Anonymous said...

Ditto!!! I *love* George posts!! I just wanna reach out and pet him through the monitor!

Anonymous said...

George has the most gorgeous markings. He looks like so much fun. A great companion. That last photo reminds me of my boys. Who Me? He started it... ; )

Russell said...

I love border collies! Every year at the Iowa State Fair I am astounded by how they can herd those sheep, etc. into pens!! It is one of the most interesting things at the fair!!

I have a border collie / brittany mix called Bailey. He has the personality of a border collie but the markings, to a large extent, of a brittany. He is a great dog - but don't mess with his routine!! He loves routine!

Take care and like the people before me said, keep those pictures of George coming!

Country Girl said...

Thanks everyone. Wasn't sure about posting two stories on George in one week, but our kids are grown and he's what I've got now.

He's a fantastic dog and as been since he was just a wee pup. No bad habits and so good natured.

(I love that last picture of him, too).

~C.G.

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

That is the most BEAUTIFUL border collie I've ever seen!

Love the pics of the cat and dog!

My Fluffy and Gracie are a cat and dog totally in love with each other. lol

:-)Beth

Jo said...

George looks wonderful. He looks exactly like a border collie I once had, named Sporty. I was playing on the banks of a river, and I slipped on some rocks and fell into the river, unconscious. Sporty grabbed the collar of my blouse and held my head out of the water until help arrived. They're very smart dogs.

George looks as if he is full of mischief, and the cat is obviously having a great time playing with George. :-)

Jeannelle said...

Wow, Josie's story above is amazing!

You're right, countrygirl, dogs do love being with other dogs. When my daughter and husband come home to visit they bring their big goofy yellow lab, and she's in paradise running freely around the farm with our two dogs.

tj said...

...lol...I love the second photo - it looks like the cat is saying, "(*gasp*)oh don't take a picture of me n-o-w!"... ;o)

...I just love George - he's so pretty! Well, handsome I should say... :o)

...Blessings... :o)

abb said...

Looks to me like you have TWO pet cats. Just own up to it already! (tee-hee;-)



annbb

Country Girl said...

Thanks for stopping by everyone. And Josie, great story about Sporty. Cool name, too.

Welcome to Tombstone Annie, who I think I've seen here before (as annbb, maybe?)

I'll be sure to continue to post about my favorite pup. And his girlfriends.

~C.G.

Mental P Mama said...

These are great pics. I think you should stop calling that cat a stray and give her a proper name! It looks like they're an item.

Unknown said...

I just clicked over here from Robin's BumbleBee Blog... and I can't resist commenting on how adorable George is! The pictures of him with the grey and white stray are priceless. But I do agree--you should give her a name. :)