Thursday, February 7, 2008

Record Highs in Maryland

The temperature went up to 72 degrees yesterday (2/6), a record high for our area. In the late afternoon, the wind picked up as I left the house for my walk with George through the woods. The skies were gray when I left, but by the time we got to the other side of the woods, the sun was breaking through and shedding that amber light it does before sunset. Then the pink color arrived and it was magic hour.
I had come to the marsh area, a place where beavers have built dams, creating a huge pond. It was so peaceful there and the birds were trilling back and forth. I could hear ducks, too. I just wanted to stay awhile, and the dog had run off on the scent of something, so I sat down. Then I laid down and just looked at the sky and the clouds moving and listened to the wind through the trees and the birds chittering in the brush around me. I could even smell deer nearby. Have you ever smelled deer? It's a distinct scent, sort of like really earthy wet fur. Difficult to explain unless you're there to smell it.
It was so beautiful just resting there, but then I heard this growling nearby. Turns out, it was only George, who had returned to see something out of place (that would be me), lying on the ground. He ran off when I called him and didn't come back until I was standing in an upright position and telling him it was ok. I was just chillin', pup!
Walking up our hill on the return home, I noticed our backyard trees with the skies brilliant and blazing behind them, so I made tracks to the house to get the camera. I took these photos looking up towards our backyard, standing between our home and the pond below. I didn't work on them in Photoshop because I like how they look just fine.
I still can't believe how warm it was today. Cold weather coming soon, though, so I'm glad I got to enjoy it while I could.
I'd like to take a moment to ask you to pray for the people in this country who have been affected by the record number of tornadoes on the night of Feb. 5, making it the worst one-day onslaught of weather seen in years. Across 7 states, 30-50 tornadoes were reported.

12 comments:

brneyedgal967 said...

Oh Wow.

Beauty.

Majestic.

I absolutely love the very first photo. Is it too much to ask if you could e-mail me a high resolution file of that? I can do an 8x10 print and have it framed and matted and boy, oh boy, would that look lovely in my living room. You're right. No Photoshop needed, you captured it exquisitely.

I didn't even know about the Feb. 5 tornadoes - I don't think I've turned on the news or surfed a news site for days. I'll pray for them though, having been a first hand witness to tornado destruction many times. Terrifying.

Glad you enjoyed your gorgeous day.

-Tammy

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous!!!! Man, are you blessed! We're having our 4th blizzard of the winter. It is especially bad this year - winter that is. Lots of snow - 10" deep.

I'm so ready for 70* days!!

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous! You so captured the feeling of those stark, bare winter trees against the brilliant sunset. And no photoshop. Great job!! Love, LOVE these.

glad you ordered the ott lamp. I'll be interested in seeing your results.

Minna Dyer said...

So beautiful! The first is my favorite. Great exposure.

abb said...

Such lovely photos....your narrative is also wonderful. Makes me wish I had been with you and George on your walk.

abb

Country Girl said...

Tammy, I left you a private note in your e-mail about the photo.

Welcome annbb, haven't seen you here before.

And thanks everyone. I was just really lucky to have been out there and seen this. when I got to work this morning, everyone was talking about the sunset we had last night.

~C.G.

tj said...

...Wow! That is exactly what I said when I saw the first photo... That is beautiful! It's worthy of framing... :o)

...And I loved it when I read that you laid down on the ground! lol... We could be kindred spirits 'cause that is something I would do! lol... ;o)

...Thanks for sharing such beautiful photos - you have such a gift!

...Blessings... :o)

Jeannelle said...

Oh, my, these photos are absolutely stunning!!! Thank you for sharing them with us here in blogworld!

72 degrees sounds heavenly!

I saw the news reports of the tornado devastation across the south. Many prayers go out to all affected.

Riva B said...

Kate, I love these photos, especially the first two.

Riva

Country Girl said...

Thanks, Riva. Always good to hear from you! Hope you're keeping warm up there. Oh, guess what? I just bought an ott light. It comes next week!

Yolanda said...

I love your photos . They are really good.

Lynette said...

Wow. All I can say is wow. What amazing photos. I love all of the tiny detail in the tree against the breathtaking sky. You really captured it!

If I could only come shadow you...the things I would learn!