Saturday, February 16, 2008

Watermelon, Feta, and Olive Salad

Yes, I know it sounds strange. But it's really not. It's a surprising mix of ingredients that truly tastes good together. And after the indulgences of this week, it's much healthier to eat this than what I really wanted. I'd been on the go all day, having to leave the house at 8:30 to drive to a check-up appointment for my beloved Honda Element. What should have taken a half hour took over an hour, but I was okay with that. I don't like the Honda waiting room, so I trek way across the parking lot through the cold to get to the Accura waiting room where the leather couches await, the Starbucks coffee, and the refrigerator full of chilled water. It's not that I'm an elitist or anything. I just like being comfortable.
Then on to run my errands and get some things I've run out of. Driving home afterwards, I realized I was missing my girlfriends, Karen and Adrienne. So I called each one of them just to hear their voices, and they were going shopping together. And I love shopping, but I live all the way out here and I'm heading home because I've got things to do. I started to feel really sad, so I stopped again to my favorite store outside of Smyrna, DE. It's Willey's Market and they've got so many lovely things, and lots of excellent produce. But best of all, they've got a greenhouse and I took my time strolling through it and wishing I had brought my camera. I was looking for a calla lily, but couldn't find one. When I checked out the produce section, I saw there was a big display of watermelon. Fresh, pink watermelon all sliced up for sampling, and there were a lot of people eating and smiling, so I tried some. And that's when I knew what I was going to make for lunch.

This recipe comes from a book I have called "The Skinny: How to Fit in your Little Black Dress Forever". The juxtaposition of cool, sweet watermlon and the salty olives and feta makes a very satisfying lunch or snack, says the book. Now, it won't last more than a couple hours after you make it because of the properties of the watermelon. So just make enough to eat without putting any aside.
Here's the recipe:
Watermelon, Feta, and Olive Salad
2 cups watermelon, cut into small chunks
1 1/2 oz. feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/3 cup)
2 Tbsp. chopped, pitted kalamata olives
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh herbs,
such as basil or oregano (optional)
Coarse sea salt or kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Toss the watermelon, cheese, olives, oil, and if desired, herbs together in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.
I feel like it's summertime when I eat this. And suddenly, I'm feeling better about my day. This salad has a surprising taste. Try it and let me know what you think!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since no one commented on this.....I just went back searching for this recipe before I forgot. It looks and sounds SO good to me. It has 2 of my favorite ingredients. Not that I don't like watermelon but I had never put it in anything else but fruit salad. I'm sure this will be wonderful. And, if I am ever NOT on a diet (I binge a lot so there is hope) then I plan on trying the mushroom soup. I'm sure it's to die for also.
Seestah

Anonymous said...

I can not beleive I missed this post!!! I am just reading your back posts (as I often do because I love your writing. You missed your...correction..so glad you found your calling! Also because I have no life outside of work, my doggie Josie and your blog)and saw this one....never saw it...slacker that I am! We wished you were with us..saw the chairs you bought Shaun. You are a good mother! Next time pretend your my mother...HA! I love you and miss you...gotta go, Jo just brought me a toy and gets jealous when I am on the internet. Often times she just jumps on the sofa and puts each hand (paw) on either side of my head from behind and lets her body rest on my back as I surf. Today she she threw a chew toy at my head. Love her!!! Katie ROCKS!!!!

ps do not see the nick name option..this is Acorn

Country Girl said...

I knew it was you, Acorn. Can't wait to see you on the 8th!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.