Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day

I have always loved this poem from William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and just wanted to share it with you today. We don't really do anything special in my house on Valentine's Day. Just cards, but maybe he'll surprise me. I really get a kick out of a card. I like to imagine him inside the card shop, reading them and choosing just the right one for me. I really don't need anything more than that.
Now, if he wants to stop by the camera shop and pick me up something from there, I'm not going to turn it down! But honestly, a card is enough for today. Just something that tells me that he loves me.
I designed the picture for this post using Scott Kelby's Photoshop CS2 book. It's called a Gallery Print, and is in the section "How to show your work". Basically, I made the canvas bigger (the white) and each line of type is its own separate layer. This photo had 6 layers, and a background which I "flattened" at the end. I just wanted to do something different for today.

9 comments:

Jo said...

That photograph is exquisite. I can almost smell the rose. It would make a lovely watercolor painting.

For the last 17 years I have been receiving a floral arrangement on Valentine's Day, and I don't from whom. Maybe I'll never know.

"O my love is like a red, red rose
That's newly sprung in June;
My is love like the melodie
That's sweetly played in tune."

...Robbie Burns

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous rose!! I can almost smell its sweet fragrance...

Robin (Bumblebee) said...

I love Valentine's Day. I'm taking off work early to make a molten chocolate cake with homemade ice cream. I will even eat some myself!

Happy Valentine's Day, Kate!

Robin at Bumblebee

Anonymous said...

Oh, that picture is great! Love the card. Handmade cards are the greatest!

Glad you're liking your Ott light. I use mine for knitting too. (which is why I originally bought mine). I have the floor lamp (by my knitting/reading chair) and the task light.

Mary said...

How beautiful -- picture and words! Happy Valentine's Day, :)
xoxo,
Mary

Jeannelle said...

Absolutely lovely!

Country Girl said...

Thanks so much. It actually did smell wonderful, not like some of the roses that have no smell.

And Josie, 17 years of mystery flowers? How odd! And no idea as to whom they're from?

Wow . . .

~C.G.

Russell said...

Great! How does the saying go? A rose by any other name is still a .... rose??! This is most certainly a beautiful rose!!

By the way, the blog you directed me to and the story about the man and woman who wrote to each other, etc. was so, so good! Thanks for telling me about it!

Take care.

tj said...

...That is so beautiful! That photo and poem would make the most beautiful Valentine's Day card!

...I hope this note finds you enjoying a wonderful Valentine's Day! Thank you for the pretty flower too!

...Blessings... :o)