Friday, February 22, 2008

The Secret of My Success

I've been thinking a lot lately about being successful in life. I don't know why, maybe it's just my age but it's a thought that seems to crop up more and more. When I was a young child, I remember my mother saying these words to our father, after she told us that she was going to have another baby. I was the eldest, and we always seemed to have no shortage of babies. (Two sets of twins in a row, no less!) Anyway, my mother said to my father, "Oh, Clarke, another child! We're getting richer every day." By saying this, my mother instilled in me the knowledge that richness wasn't monetary wealth. It's how much love is in your home. And growing up, our home was full of love.
Oh, boy, was it ever!
I received a thank-you note from good friends today who live in Pie Town, NM. I love the name of their town. They also sent a little magnet, with this inscribed on it. I think it's seredipitous that it arrived today. I'd been thinking of them a lot lately, as well as the subject matter to follow.
"To laugh often and love much;
to win the respect of intellectual persons and the adoration of children;
to earn the approbation of learned critics and to endure the betrayal of fake friends;
to appreciate beauty;
to find the best in others;
to give of one's self;
to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition;
to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation;
to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived -- this is to have succeeded."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
I just felt better having read this. My heart goes out to my friends who are so far away.
Big storm a-headed our way, according to all the weather reports. Not so much with the snow, but it's ice that's a-comin'. I just hope we don't lose power because it's awfully cold out there. I am looking forward to the possibility of a snow day and since I work at a school, I get snow days.

9 comments:

Russell said...

No finer words were ever written...! I stand up and applaud this post!

One of my favorite movies is It's a Wonderful Life with Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed. And Donna Reed is from Denison, Iowa! She is one of our own and there is still a Donna Reed festival every summer in Denison.

In that movie, George Bailey is one of the richest people who ever lived as he is surrounded by his friends and family. Every time I have seen that movie - and I have seen it countless times - I always am moved by it. Yes, the richest people in the world are people who have lots of friends, a good family and the ability to go to bed at night knowing they are doing the best they can in their world - knowing that each of us have our own struggles to deal with but also knowing we are blessed to have opportunities, too.

Congratulations on one of the best posts I have ever read.

Anonymous said...

True, true.

We are poor. Some months we barely scrap by... but I count myself blessed (READ: rich).

I have 3 beasutiful, healthy children. I have a husband who loves me, and works hard so I can stay at home with the kids. I have family that support us in words of affirmation. And I am wealthy beyond this earth as I have a God who loves me.

Money and material things are nothing compared to the riches I have.

Anonymous said...

You know, it took me awhile to learn this lesson. That money has nothing to do with riches. That the expression money can't buy happiness is so true.

this a truly great post, and I love, love the saying on the magnet. Isn't it weird how things just sometimes drop into our life at just the right time?

Country Girl said...

It IS weird how things can just drop into your hands and suddenly, there are the words that affirm what you've been feeling.

I was surprised to wake up and find such heartfelt comments to a post that I wasn't quite sure about to begin with. Before I went to bed, I almost went into my account and changed it to another. I don't know why.

Glad now that I left it be, because it's how I really feel.

Thanks, all.

Mental P Mama said...

Amen. I am headed to the doctor with a case of the flu; totally self-diagnosed, mind you, but I do feel lucky all the time, too. We all need a reminder every now and then...

Mary said...

Dear Kate,
What a beautiful post! It is so true -- the more we give of ourselves to others, the richer we become. Sometimes it's a difficult lesson to comprehend.

Hope you got your snow day. We got one here in Jersey. :) Have a great weekend!
xoxo,
Mary

dlyn said...

I'm glad you left it here too since otherwise, I would have missed it. Beautiful post!

..and I came to see your lichen, LOL - where did it go?

Country Girl said...

MP, hope you're feeling better soon.
Mary, we've got a snow day as well! I'm so glad. I've been taking bird photos all morning.
Dlyn, hey there. Oh, where did I put that lichen? I was saving it for when I didn't have anything to say, which is most of the time. Sorry! (It's not as good as your lichen anyway, so don't get excited!)

~C.G.

Jeannelle said...

Wowser.....cool serendipity indeed!