Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Lillies and old movies

I think everyone is feeling like they've had a little bit too much of winter lately.
Jeannelle at Midlife by Farmlight says the wind chill was 30 degrees BELOW in Iowa the other morning! She's posted a picure of a newborn calf with frost on its little face!
With all this icy weather happening, looking at flowers is a nice way to feel a little better and it just makes me happy, so I'm guessing it does you, as well.
I picked up these lillies at the florist last week and the second bloom began to open on Saturday. I think these are Oriental Lillies, but Robin over at the Bumblebee Blog would know for sure. Have you visited her site yet? And while I'm asking, I've posted a number of sites at the bottom left of this page that may interest you. Try to check some of them out, if you have some extra time on these long winter evenings.
The second lily pictured had already opened when I bought it and it's just beautiful still.
I have them in a nice vase in my living room so I can look at them whenever I'm home. During the week, before I go to bed, I post for the next day because I've got to leave by 7 am for work. George is here napping on the couch tonight, I've got the TV on and I'm sort of halfway watching It Happened One Night with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. Sometimes I just like watching old movies and this one was made in 1934.
I'm probably going to do a little knitting after I check out some catalogues that came today. I'd like to tell you they're seed catalogues, or something important, but they're really not. I've got the new Chico's Spring Getaway catalogue and a Be Beautiful on tap to peruse. Hey, being a country girl doesn't mean a gal doesn't like fashion. On the contrary. I love it. I also love beauty supplies and I'm a sucker for shampoos and conditioners. My current favorite is the Ojon line. I use it sparingly because it's really expensive and because my hair is really curly, I only shampoo about twice a week. (Curly hair is very prone to dryness). I just use a good conditioner daily. Why am I telling you all this?
When he was young, my father was even more handsome than Clark Gable.
Now where the heck did THAT come from? What was in that pad thai that I ate for dinner, anyway?

15 comments:

Jeannelle said...

Thank you for mentioning my blog in your post! That calf became an escapee later in the day.....the snow drifted high and solid in her pen and she was able to walk right over the fence!

My hair is baby-fine and flat, making me jealous of anyone with hair of the thick and curly persuasion!

brneyedgal967 said...

You must find an old pic of your dad in his younger, Clark Gable days and share it with us. I bet he's cute now. I think old men are adorable.

Now why did I tell you that?

brneyedgal967 said...

Surely somewhere there are links to the dog participants in the Westminster Dog Show. Hubby and I watched it tonight. If I didn't know any better, I'd say your George was the Border Collie being shown in the herding group. Sec, let me find the link:

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2008/photos/breed/DN10633702.html

Anonymous said...

It has been for 2 nights sitting at -2 degrees with a windchill of -28 degrees. Your lilies are just what I needed to see today! :D

I want to see a photos of your dad, too. I'll have to scan one of mine. When I was a teen, friends used to mistake him for my boyfriend!

BBC said...

I'm okay with winter, they are mild here. What bothers me is all the people moving here and messing this area up.

Mental P Mama said...

Love your stream-of-consciousness post! And the lilies are beautiful. I spent Saturday ordering seeds and bare root plants. Sigh. We have a winter weather warning for tonight.

Anonymous said...

hey, I'm a site you like lately. Cool! Thanks.

Those are great photos. And I needed them today. It's gray and wintery here. And the amaryllis is dead. Never did get that perfect shot of it.

Country Girl said...

What, Kacey, you didn't use your ott light? Darn!
Welcome to Mental P Mama and bbc.

I checked the link for the dog show and yes, that dog looks like George only better!

I'll try to find an old pic of my dad.

Glad to be of service with the photos. I sure do love taking them and playing with them.

~C.G.

emily said...

1. Pop-pop is still handsome. Especially in those pictures on the motorcycle at Aunt Judy's house!
2. I'm sending you an invitation to my fashion show even though it's not til May 28th. My senior collection is certainly no Chico's though.
3. I would like to mention that Mom was gloating about her guessing game victory at dinner on Saturday.
4. I love yoU!

Russell said...

Beautiful pictures of lillies! They are among my favorite flowers.

I have always felt once we get to Easter we are really into Spring (whether the weather agrees with us or not!). Remember, this year Easter is EARLY! Okay!!

Take care.

Country Girl said...

I love you too, Emily!

PS -- Didn't know you read this blog. And I'd love to come to your show.

~Aunt Kate

Country Girl said...

I love you too, Emily!

PS -- Didn't know you read this blog. And I'd love to come to your show.

~Aunt Kate

Robin (Bumblebee) said...

Hi Kate,

Yep, Oriental or Asiatic Lillies. Beautiful shots. Thanks for mentioning Bumblebee!

I love George. Absolutely adorable. Border collies are such very good companions. (Don't tell Sophie and Sarah I said any of that.)

Robin at Bumblebee

Anonymous said...

Darling Family,
Being proud is not gloating. Is it?

Anonymous said...

Kate,

I think you mean that dad looked more like Frank Sinatra, not Gable. I have the picture of him sitting on the beach in a non-chalant pose and he looks like Frank, along with the war pictures I have. Do you have any of those? You should have something? Let me know.

Love the purple flower shot, that would go great with the white/yellow rose picture side by side. Yum.

Yes, you love your dog and he loves the cat. You should see our dogs with the cat. They all love each other and they put on (as dad would say) a daily show. Actually they put on three shows a day. Breakfast, noon and night time. They run and chase each other back and forth and they'll catch her and chew on her, very lightly, and then take a quick break and start all over again.

I remember the Bro's doing that little skit. We all were laughing so hard we couldn't breath. Dumb and Dumber is also one of our fav's. The bathroom seen, OMG! I'm sitting here thinking of it and smirking.

Even though the four of us weren't together for mom and dads move to my house, the funniest thing was when we found one of the brothers ugly high school picture and you cut out a few of them and pasted them to different things and put them in different places for us to find. Remember how we laughed for 1/2 hour standing beside Judy's van. I'm gigglin....

You pictures and stories only get better and I am happy that people are mentioning you. You are wonderful.

Love,

FAVE BABE