Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Valentine's Day Story

When I started this blog, I told myself I'd never publish a post involving my workplace, and then something happened today that just made me feel good. And I wanted to share it with you. All day long at the school, delivery persons were bringing Valentine surprises for faculty and students alike. And then, at the end of the day, when most of the teachers had already left, an elderly gentleman who I recognized from one of the better florists showed up, out of breath, but seemingly proud of himself that he had arrived 'on time'. I didn't have the heart to tell him that the recipients had already left for the day and thanked him, telling him I'd call the teacher over the intercom right away. I did, but to no avail. She'd already gone. Some of you readers may remember ALISA from a previous post when she won one of the Weekend Guessing Games. And when I called her on her cell, she was well on her way home. I told her about the delivery and when she asked me if she should return, I told her that yes, it would be worth it if she did. You see, Alisa's husband Steven is in Iraq and I knew these gifts must be from him. I got the little school camera ready because I knew he would appreciate it if he could actually see his children and his wife and their reactions to the lovely bouquets of flowers he'd so thoughtfully sent. To each of his girls, Courtney and Grace, he sent a single lilac-colored presentation rose, and to his son, Chris, a box of candy with the instructions that he should "share this with your sisters, now." And to his wife, my co-worker and friend, Alisa, the biggest bouquet of red roses that I'd seen all day. The look on their faces alone made me realize how much I enjoy this little holiday. Its positive message of love makes me feel good. I hope it does you, as well.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

VERY sweet, heartwarming story sis. Sometimes it's the little things that mean so much.

Anonymous said...

Thank you kate...I've forwarded this to Steven. He's in Bagdad right now, perhaps in a week he'll be able to get to a computer and see this. It is so hard when the love of your life, your soul-mate is over 8,500 miles away in a war zone. He never fails to amaze me! His thoughtfulness is priceless. We will never forget this Valentine's day...the one where we were the farthest away in distance but the closest in our hearts.

God Bless all of the men and women who sacrifice everything for our country.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted this! What a wonderful story, and what a great father and husband Steven is!

Country Girl said...

Amen. God bless him.

~C.G.

Unknown said...

Awww... I usually profess to hate Valentine's Day, but this post has turned my shriveled Grinch heart to mush. I'm glad you posted this...

... and all the best to Steven.

Mental P Mama said...

God Bless all the men and women who put their lives on the line every day for us. I love those pictures of Steven's family, and I pray he is always safe and sound.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! I can just imagine how thrilled she was to hear from her beloved. And the kids... really nice. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, thanks for sharing such a touching story. I can't even imagine how the worry families must feel while loved ones are in Iraq.

Kathleen Grace said...

What a beutiful story. The expression of love is what makes VAlentines day one of the sweetest holidays around:>) I love your blog, thank you for stopping by mine and for the sweet comment you left. I am always glad to find one more friend to enjoy online! Happy Valentines day.

Minna Dyer said...

Hooray for "positive messages of love"!
Great story.

Jen said...

MAN! Way to bring on the tears.

I was in the military so a good way to get my tears a-goin' is to mention my brothers and sisters overseas + some emotional love tale. :D

brneyedgal967 said...

Awwww. Very sweet. Thanks for taking the pictures and sharing their love story!

Mary said...

Oh, what a sweet, sweet story! God bless them!
xoxo,
Mary

Anonymous said...

That was so thoughtful of you to post such a touching story. You really have a good heart, being able to touch so many people with the stories that you post. Keep the stories coming.

Jeannelle said...

A heartwarmer story.....its grand you were there to witness it!

God's blessings to Alisa and her family!!

Egghead said...

So lovely. Bless our soldiers protecting us.