Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Mushroom soup is good for the soul

Chicken soup may be good for a cold, but when I think of comfort, it's cream of mushroom soup that comes to my mind. The silky goodness and the earthy-good taste of mushrooms were something I kept thinking about on and off today. It's so cold outside and sipping some soup was just what I was looking for. So this afternoon, when my school let out early due to a coming ice storm, I stopped at the grocery store and was surprised to see it not very crowded. And then I came home and made this excellent little soup for dinner and served it with a piece of crusty rosemary herbed bread. I've gotta warn you, though, it isn't diet. It has probably a jillion calories, so eat at your own risk. Here goes:

Cream of Mushroom Soup
6 Tbsp. butter
1 med. onion, chopped
3/4 lb. mushrooms
3 Tbsp. flour
1 Knorr Swiss vegetable cube
3 cups chicken broth

1/2 cup water

3/4 cup light cream

1 large bay leaf
freshly ground pepper

Melt the butter and add the chopped onion. Cook until transparent at medium. Add mushrooms and continue to cook for about 5 min. Add the flour and the vegetable cube and stir in. Immediately add the chicken broth and water, incorporating slowly. Add bay leaf and pepper, cover and bring to a boil. Turn heat down immediately and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf and add cream. If desired, top with fresh croutons or crackers.

15 comments:

brneyedgal967 said...

I bet that smells good! I like grilled portobello's and I don't mind mushrooms IN some of my food as long as it's cut up small. But I never could do mushroom soup - not sure why, must be the texture.

Anonymous said...

can't do mushroom soup either. Like mushrooms cooked in things, but I don't eat them much.

The soup does sound deliciously wicked though!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I would LOVE some homemade fattening mushroom soup but unfortunately it involves cooking (which I abhor). Cooking is for husbands and mine is gone at work for the night. Also unfortunate is that I am trying to watch what I eat AGAIN. Alas, my life is a diet. Woe is me. Now, if my seestah was here and made it for me NOW I would surely eat it all up. Of course, she can't just hop in the car and drive here. Not like she's right around the corner or anything. Maybe next time she sees me she could remember that I would love to have some of her soup and she will make it for me right then. How much cream do you put in anyway? It doesn't say in the directions. You know, just incase I buckle and happen to have the ingredients in and actually feel like cooking. (Happens sometimes but thankfully not often).

Country Girl said...

I forgot the cream!

It's 3/4 cup, but I added a whole cup because I like it that way.

It IS deliciously wicked. Did you choose your pictures yet, my seestah?

Anonymous said...

Not a mushroom fan either. But I love creamy soups nonetheless. YUM!

Lynette said...

Nothing hits the spot like yummy soup (with lots of cream and butter) in the winter! I'll have to try this...

Mental P Mama said...

Yummy! I'll be over later for some of that soup...it is raining sideways here after snowing all night. Ugh.

Country Girl said...

Thanks everyone. Just so you know that I forgot to put the cream in the recipe. It's 3/4 cup.

Spring is coming. I just know it.

~C.G.

abb said...

Looks yummy. Wonder if it would work with asparagus...

abb

Country Girl said...

I just want to vent and say that Blogger is the devil. It rankles me to no end. I went back into this recipe to add the cream I'd forgotten and it blew everything out again. I give up.

I've heard that Squarespace is a much better blogging platform and am thinking of switching over to that.

~C.G.

Lori said...

This is absolutely wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

FireLight said...

I love mushrooms, and I have been craving mushroom soup. I have written down the ingredients and plan to make this recipe very soon...maybe tonight! Thanks!
I have really enjoyed your posts & photographs!
This is my first visit! What a find!

Country Girl said...

Welcome to FireLight. I just had the soup last night. It was yummy.

~ C.G.

Golden West said...

Your recipe is superb! I've made it twice, as written, with excellent results and the last time substituted fresh asparagus for the mushrooms - outstanding! Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.