Monday, September 22, 2008

The sheep in the meadow

There is a small herd of Suffolk sheep here on the farm where I live. Since I moved here in July, I've been trying to get pictures of them, but they always run away. Run away! Say that like you're watching Monty Python's The Holy Grail.
It's probably because I always have George with me. The sheep see the border collie and they all Run Away! Every single time. So I've been reduced to using my zoom lens. And I was never able to get any good shots.
Well, one morning this weekend, I was taking pictures of flowers and mushrooms with my macro lens and suddenly couldn't find George. I called him and he came running. I saw that he'd been visiting the sheep, who were standing meekly by the fence. And they weren't running away!
I soon found out that the reason they weren't running away was because the cow was in charge, the cow with the awesome hair-do. And when the cow is there, the sheep are ok with having George around. They sometimes follow the cow.
I took these pictures with my macro lens because it's what I had on the camera at the time.
Border collies have been bred to herd sheep, and this is George in his sheep stance.
This is the bravest of all the sheep. She came right up to George at the fence and checked him out. Then she walked back and little bit and was so relaxed that she lay down. I couldn't believe it.
I also can't believe how incredibly boring this post is. But I yam what I yam. And I do hope you don't mind.


Until tomorrow, my friends.

24 comments:

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

Your posts are never boring, Kate. I never tire of seeing George. He looks so serious as he watches the sheep. What a smart, talented, and photogenic boy he is. Even Doughboy enjoys your posts about George. He followed you from a comment you left on my blog and was talking about George's intelligence and obedience [the post about the skittish horse]. These are traits not common in our three canine children. But we still love them. Glad you got some photos of the sheep. I love their black faces.

Mental P Mama said...

Those sheep are adorable! I am glad you and George made friends with them;)

Tess Kincaid said...

George must know the creed...baa-ram-ewe! ;)

Wonderful pix!!

Chelsi said...

LOL it was made not boring by your yam who I yam! lol

I love the pics, beautiful as always.

Norm said...

I love that very healthy animals..

Jo said...

Aw, those are great pictures! What a wonderful life you have.

I love, love, love the cow with the hair do. My gosh! That's a Cow with Confidence.

George is a beautiful dog, isn't he?

Annie said...

ah, wonderful photos again!

Annie.

Lena said...

it was not boring at all!! And you know i wonder who i liked more - the dog or the sheep?
Though being the dog-lover i would say this one is sooooooooo loveable!!

Reader Wil said...

Thanks for sharing this post! These kind of sheep are beautiful because of their black masks. Your dog is great too.

Picket said...

What great pics girl...I love farm animals.ohhhh somedays I swear I could move to the country and be happy surrounded by them...well maybe not 'surrounded' I do gotta have a clean place to walk! lol George is beautiful as always! have a great week my friend!

Mary said...

Ewe are not boring at all...

(Sorry, I couldn't resist!)


Love the sheep -- they are so photogenic!
xoxo,
Mary

abb said...

Nope - interesting and good pics as always, Kate.

Anonymous said...

It's not that boring! I love the cow! The hair do is a scream!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous pictures. It's funny because Sparky hasn't been trained to herd our sheep but she just does it anyway. She's just a bit disobedient!

CJ xx

Anonymous said...

Love the sheep photos. Now you should take up spinning yarn in your "spare time". . .

Unknown said...

No, not boring in the least. I live vicariously through you. I want a sheep...and a pig...so I can say, "Away pig." like from Babe. Awesome photos as always!

Daryl said...

Wonderful shots .. no excuses necessary ...

If George is ever gone missing, I think you might find him at my house


:-Daryl

Hilary said...

Ewe is what ewe is.. very talented. :)

Egghead said...

George in his sheep stance is great. I love to see what photos you come up with next. In fact as I look at both George and then that sheep in the last picture, they both look like they are in the same pose. Ha ha!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Suffolk sheep are lovely - one of my favourite breeds. Sometimes breeders black little bits of Suffolk's faces to make them shine if they are in a competition! Somehow they are the archetypal sheep of childrens' stories, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

Those are some fine lookin' sheep, however I would be afraid of them.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

Hi Country Girl, I have border collie too, named Jake. He's 13 months and already has had two operations for hip dysplasia. Still, he's a joy. Found you via Black Box, by the way.

Woman in a Window said...

I don't even think it's George. I think it's just the sheep. There are some Mennonites nearby and I often try to shoot their sheep (WITH MY CAMERA!) but fail. They go wobbling away so efficiently!

Sandy said...

Hello! I found you through Daryl of out&about in new york. I don't this post is boring at all. I love your Border Collie and the sheep and the cow. I'll be back!