Saturday, June 21, 2008

Final Photo Assignment #15

I love reading Miriam Lovell's Photography blog and have been haphazardly participating in her weekly photo assignment series. I usually post my entries on Flickr, and once a couple of weeks ago, when my internet company had me on a chokehold, and I couldn't get onto my Flickr account, I ended up posting my entry on my blog, which was embarassing because it was a self-portrait. But I'm posting this entry here because it's sentimental to me. And you know, I just love to share.

This week is the final assignment and we were told that we could do a picture of our choice. Minna told us to "make it a good one" because it's the last. Well, this isn't what I consider to be one of my best photographic examples, as it was taken with my old point and shoot, the little Sony Cybershot I always carried around. But we were told that we could use what we want. And I remember seeing this picture for the first time and really liking it. It has sentimental value to me, and that's the main reason I'm using it. It's an old favorite.

This is my husband fishing on an early autumn morning, off the coast of North Carolina. He'd just turned 50 and, we hadn't thought he'd make it to 50. Let's leave it at that, shall we? And, to me, looking at this picture, I feel all is right with the world. When our children were young, and life held so much promise, we'd take them to North Carolina for our vacation. He liked getting up early and packing up his fishing stuff and walking through the dunes to the ocean where he'd set up a chair and just fish. I'd bring coffee down and then the kids, when they woke up, and take pictures while they played in the sand, as their father fished.

To me, this picture says that everything will be ok. That the world is as it should be. Now, when Minna looks at it, she'll tell me everything that's right or wrong with it. And that's good. Maybe it's just a boring shot of some guy fishing with his jeans rolled up. But what I see is my husband, silhouetted in the early morning light, with the sun twinkling on the waves lapping the shore. It's a familiar sight to me, and his profile hasn't changed a bit since he was that boy I fell in love with at age 19. And everything's gonna be ok.

And that's why I chose this one for my final assignment.

17 comments:

Minna Dyer said...

Oh, Kate! You make me laugh!

This is a great photo. I love the story within it and behind it. I think it says so much and you were right to choose it.
Thanks for participating in the assignments. I always enjoy seeing what you come up with.
You're wonderful!

Country Girl said...

Yeah, it's like I said. Everything's gonna be ok. Thanks, Minna.

Marchelle said...

That is a gorgeous photo. Before even reading the story I automatically thought how peaceful and serene it was!

Anonymous said...

I love this photo. I love how the water looks all glitzy from the sun. It is a beautiful picture and being sentimental to you and knowing the story behind the picture makes it that much better in my opinion.

Egghead said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Egghead said...

Kate this is truly a wonderful picture and I love and understand the story behind it. I have a photo of my daughter on the coast holding her daughter with the ocean behind her that speaks to me the same way (taken just with a point and shoot as well). Not good quality or composition but it speaks to my heart. I hear you.

abb said...

Lovely words, wonderful photo - every part of this post is so touching, Kate. Blessings on you and your family.

Anonymous said...

At first glance, I thought it was a wonderful picture, but after reading your post it was even MORE so! Beautiful.

brneyedgal967 said...

The photo is beautiful in its' own right. However, your story and how it makes YOU feel makes it so much more compelling. Excellent.

Mary said...

Well, hell -- even without the story it is a beautiful photo! I love the composition and the light, and the curve of the fishing rod, and the way his foot is raised just at the edge of the surf...

But the story just plain made me choke up...

Wonderful, Kate!
xoxo,
Mary

Country Girl said...

Thank you, everyone. Mary, I couldn't put my finger on it but you did it perfectly by saying it was the curve of the rod and how his foot is raised just above the surf.
Ashley, I used two of Kevin Kubota's actions on it to turn it to B&W. It was in color, but the color was blech. I used an enriching action to get it ready for B&W and then I used something called punch, I think.
Vonda, I hear you, as well.

~ Love, C.G.

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

This is a lovely photo. It makes me feel peaceful..calm...serene. Photography, like all art, isn't about being perfect. It's about the personal feelings it invokes in the beholder. The silvery water, the silhouette. They are a perfect balance. Added to that is the story behind it. It doesn't get more perfect than this!

Chocolate Cat said...

Think this photo is just beautiful but knowing it's your husband and the memories it holds for you makes it even more special. Wouldn't we all love to have a photo of ourselves that says so much. Thank you once again for sharing.

Mental P Mama said...

That is an amazing shot. Everything is going to be okay, indeed.

Anonymous said...

I have to say everything "Is" already allright! You can just read the love you have for your husband, in the words you use to describe this photo! As well as the time you took to make it just right! I am all for photo adjusting! It doesn't take away from the picture, it adds a special "creative artists" touch!Congratulations on your life together!

Jessica Stier said...

I don't have anything new to say, just mirror these wonderful comments. That photo is beautiful. You can really feel the peacefulness that this photo portrays.
Also, I hadn't seen Miriam's site so I'm excited to follow her. Well, I'm new here too - I caught you blog from the Life on an Island blog.

I'll be back!
:)

Jessica
www.momshots.com

Lynne said...

That photo stands out on its own merit even without your loving words about your husband. I adore the contrast between that strong silhouetted form of him fishing, contrasted to those waves.

I'm new here, but I've read some older posts and hope that your husband is in remission. He's obviously a fighter, a survivor and you're an amazing support. Your love is healing, as you well know.

W/ warm positive vibes,
L